Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can i drive without rear rotors? spacer installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Can i drive without rear rotors? spacer installed

Trying to track down a vibration from the rear that started after a brake change.
Aside from less stopping power, can i remove my rear rotors and pads, install a spacer to make up for the missing rotor, then drive it to see if i found my problem? I figured that the caliper will just close and nothing else would happen.
I can live with no rear brakes for a test drive, just didn't want to screw something up.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you get flamed from everyone, I would say NO!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd have to say NO.. with no rotors and pads the calipers won't just close.. the pistons will probably completely press all the way out of the calipers and loose all the brake fluid and have no brakes at all.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

^^ Yup, your pistons will go past where they are suppost to, fall out, and cause all of the brake fluid to be lost. Why don't you just go down to your local parts store and pick up some new rotors for $30 and see if it goes away.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

.....install a spacer to make up for the missing rotor, then drive it to see if i found my problem? I figured that the caliper will just close and nothing else would happen......
MY .02' I would try it , the key being...install a spacer..,I would duck tape the "spacer" a 2x4, 1x4 whatever fits into the space
good luck, Johnny
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

yes you can. apparently half the people who replied didnt bother reading the whole post....but yes, as long as the piston has something to push against, it would work.

why would you think the brake rotors are causing the vibration? its unlikely they are the problem unless youre getting a shake when stopping only. if the veh vibrates and the steering wheel stays straight when stopping, then yes, it might be the rear rotors.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to clarify, i was going to install a spacer that goes onto the axle itself, with holes for the lugs to go through, so my wheel will still be in it's proper location. I can make that at work on my lunch break.
That should keep the calipers from hitting the wheel, and put something (yet to be determined) in the caliper to keep the pistons from compressing to far.

This thread piggybacks another i started about a vibration that i've been trying to track down. Without making the other thread too cluttered, i decided to creat this one specifically about an idea i had to further isolate my problem.

Without reposting the other thread completely, here's some cliff notes;

NOTE: Vibe doesn't happen when the car is stationary, only when above 70mph, regardless of RPM's.

1. Installed new rotors and pads, vibration immediatly upon first drive (70-85mph)
2. Reinstalled old rotors and pads, no change
3. balanced wheels, no change
4. rotated wheels, no change, vibe still in rear
5. put on a lift, ran it up to 60, left rear shakes bad, right rear a little. Shop and myself looked at all suspension components, u-joints and trans mount. All looked good.
6. re installed the new rotors and pads, checked park brake for rubbing, check mating surfaces of rotor to axle, no change.
7. Checked pinion angle, all good
8. wheels re balanced at a different shop, no change
9. i even checked the rear bumper skin and the air dam to see if they were flapping in the wind! Checked exhaust mounts/hangers also, all good.
10. followed the car while going down the road to see if i would notice a bad shock, looked good

I know this is an odd question to ask but now you guys know what i'm dealing with! I've worked on a lot of cars, f-bodies included, and this one has me stumped.

I appreciate any input.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
why would you think the brake rotors are causing the vibration? its unlikely they are the problem unless youre getting a shake when stopping only. if the veh vibrates and the steering wheel stays straight when stopping, then yes, it might be the rear rotors.
I know what you mean, i'm just trying to isolate as many components individually, to completely without a doubt, eliminate them from the equation.

I work on jets for a living and i've seen some crazy **** be the root of the problem!

Common sense tells me that my plan will work in regards to the rotor's, but it never hurts to double check!

Thanks for the help guys, any additional thoughts are appreciated!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

bent axles maybe?? has the car been in an accident or driven on horrible roads? just a wild guess...
Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Powered By V8
bent axles maybe?? has the car been in an accident or driven on horrible roads? just a wild guess...

That's usually the first thing people ask me, but it was fine until that damn brake change. If i hit a hole or something on my initial test drive, bent rims or an axle would have been my first thought. I've never heard of anyone bending an axle while jacking a car up. My luck i'm the first!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice