Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam break-in

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam break-in

What's the protocol for breaking in H/C after a swap? How many miles, what weight oil(dino oil), after how many miles to change the oil?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Teching In

U need to heat cycle your valvesprings a couple times (let the car get up to operating temps then cool off). Drive for about 50 miles, change oil. This will get any assembly lube used out or shavings that occured. Next change in 500 miles, and after that go about your business on changing oil normally.

Regular dyno oil for break in is a must for me. Been doing it since the 70's with no problems. good luck
Old 06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldmanZ06
U need to heat cycle your valvesprings a couple times (let the car get up to operating temps then cool off). Drive for about 50 miles, change oil. This will get any assembly lube used out or shavings that occured. Next change in 500 miles, and after that go about your business on changing oil normally.

Regular dyno oil for break in is a must for me. Been doing it since the 70's with no problems. good luck
I agree, other than I prefer mobil 1 (I wont' say synthetic to start an arguement). In the old days with flat tappet cams, they required a break in procedure. Roller cams really don't, but I think it's a good idea to heat cycle the springs and change the oil soon anytime you work on the internals.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Awesome, thanks for the info. Can't wait to get her on the rollers next month