General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

I recently purchased a 2000 z28 and I''m having an electrical problem. Was curious if anyone else has experienced this or knows how to fix it.

When i push on the brake pedal during the day with no lights on, ... the odometer lighting fades out with more pressure on the brake. But at night it doesn''t do this while the headlights are on.

And day or night, if i have my foot on the brake, the turn signals don''t flash, with no brake they work fine.

Any ideas?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have an answer by tomorrow night I'll help you out. I am returning home then and have wiring diagrams. To point out the obvious, it is in the brake light side of the system though. Wish I could help you more now
Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

All the lights and blinkers work now, but if the brake is pressed the blinkers don''t blink, and if the headlights are on, they don''t blink . The odometer still fades out during the day with no headlights on.

I've searched and searched but still haven't figured it out. Any help you can give i appreciate it..
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only 2 things they all have in common is the BCM(maybe) and the daytime running light module which is most likely the my suspect. It controls all the exterior lights but also does tie into the interior light but not directly. That would make me think about the interior lights dimming. There is also the Body control module also. Could be possible. I'll put a picture of the diagram when I get my camera back later this afternoon.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

The only thing that dims is the odometer meter on the dash, this happens during the day, while no lights are on. The interior lights don't dim

And while the brake is pressed, the blinker lights stay solid.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do your turn signal lights illuminate when you are moving(M6 or A4???) Sorry but the retard I let borrow my camera never got up with me.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

If i'm moving and it's daytime, the turning signals work just fine, until i put my foot on the brake.