Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

thunderform mtx installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thunderform mtx installed

just installed a used mtx thunderform sub with built in amp. Fits perfect in the left rear trunk area. great use of dead space. I only had to run a power cable from battery and tap into the rear speakers to turn amp on. Im using stock monsoon stereo and speakers , and i have to say it sounds a ton better just adding some bass. Now its not a break the window,rattle the bolts loose bass, but adds enough to be enjoyable.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you screw it in or how are you keeping it from sliding or falling?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm presuming you tapped the rear speakers to get signal too...if so, then you need to change and tap the speaker leads at the Monsoon amp. IF you tap the rear speakers, you're getting a high pass signal with the bass taken out for the 4" rear speakers. Tap the speaker leads at the Monsoon amp on the INPUT side and you'll get a full range signal with ALL of the frequencies to send to the MTX Thunderform. Then the Thunderform's x-over will do the work and you should get louder, and better quality bass. I run 1 10" sub in the JL Vantage stealthbox and I hit 132 dB on my SPL meeter. My system with a pair of Kicker 12's in the mid 90's could only hit 130 dB, so 132 dB with a single 10" isn't too bad at all!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
I'm presuming you tapped the rear speakers to get signal too...if so, then you need to change and tap the speaker leads at the Monsoon amp. IF you tap the rear speakers, you're getting a high pass signal with the bass taken out for the 4" rear speakers. Tap the speaker leads at the Monsoon amp on the INPUT side and you'll get a full range signal with ALL of the frequencies to send to the MTX Thunderform. Then the Thunderform's x-over will do the work and you should get louder, and better quality bass. I run 1 10" sub in the JL Vantage stealthbox and I hit 132 dB on my SPL meeter. My system with a pair of Kicker 12's in the mid 90's could only hit 130 dB, so 132 dB with a single 10" isn't too bad at all!
yes you are right i tapped in at the rear speakers..so i can make this better ..awesome. where is the amp located? I will try your suggestion
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bobbyd
did you screw it in or how are you keeping it from sliding or falling?
no screws it actually tucked up under the lip of the rear panel and seems to stay put . it did have two screws sticking out the bottom from the prevoius owner but i removed them not wanting to drill any holes...ill see if it works loose than i might have to secure it
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by euroman
no screws it actually tucked up under the lip of the rear panel and seems to stay put . it did have two screws sticking out the bottom from the prevoius owner but i removed them not wanting to drill any holes...ill see if it works loose than i might have to secure it
coo thanks well I had a problem with mine sliding out and falling down to where the ttop holders go.

I went to walmart yesterday and got some velcro and that works good it keeps it in place and doesnt move anymore

btw - i have the same box as you with the amp. what I did was replace the sub with a kicker cvr and now running a 1000watt amp instead sounds wayyyyyy better now
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

coo thanks well I had a problem with mine sliding out and falling down to where the ttop holders go.

I went to walmart yesterday and got some velcro and that works good it keeps it in place and doesnt move anymore

btw - i have the same box as you with the amp. what I did was replace the sub with a kicker cvr and now running a 1000watt amp instead sounds wayyyyyy better now
cool man is the wire connections the same as mine- did you see the other post on where i could tap in and make it sound better-or better yet dou know where the factory amp is located?

oh yeah velcro good idea

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-03-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=euroman;9669066]

btw - i have the same box as you with the amp. what I did was replace the sub with a kicker cvr and now running a 1000watt amp instead sounds wayyyyyy better now[/QUOTE cool man is the wire connections the same as mine- did you see the other post on where i could tap in and make it sound better-or better yet dou know where the factory amp is located?
yea I got the same connection as you. I might change it to the aftermarket unit since im getting one tomorrow.

i believe the amp is behind the spare tire on the passenger side of the car.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The amp is mounted to a bracket in front (forward) of the spare tire. There's a picture in the Monsoon FAQ sticky as well as the amp pinout diagram so you can get the correct input wires to tap into.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The amp is mounted to a bracket in front (forward) of the spare tire. There's a picture in the Monsoon FAQ sticky as well as the amp pinout diagram so you can get the correct input wires to tap into.
THANKS FOR THE DIRECTION
Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry I'm just now getting back to this thread...I was on vacation. Glad to see you got everything worked out now. Does it sound better now that you're NOT tapping the rear speakers?