Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon new head unit

i wanted to get a new head unit but every shop i take it to says you don't wanna replace that head unit because then everything will sound bad but i really wanna hook my i-pod in and have sat radio but mostly i-pod will this radio be a good choice Kenwood Excelon KDC-X592 or must i replace the whole system?

if i can use an aftermarket what should i look for ?

98 t/a monsoon c/d
Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont listen to them. I put off buying a new HU for a year because of the BS untill found this sight. I hate to think where car would be If this sight did not exist.

Just use the regular gm harness adaptor and a head unit that fits. I use a alpine CDA-9855 it is 18 watts rms x 4. It sounds much better than stock. You just do not want to buy a very powerful deck, The reason is you only be able to turn it to level 6 as apossed to level 20 (less range of sound because of the stock amp). As long as you put in low power level deck it will sound great.

I now have elimental subs in sail pannels and a stealth box in the rear (self powered). The car sounds great.

oh yeah before any one else says it, Search is your friend (when it works).
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

All you need to replace the stock Monsoon headunit:
* New headunit
* Mounting Kit
* Wiring Harness
* Antenna Adapter
* Steering Wheel Control adapter

To clarify the steering wheel control adapter, the PAC SWI-X is the universal IR one. PAC also makes brand specific wired units as well (ex: SWI-PS is for Pioneer headunits with the remote port on the back).

The aftermarket headunit will sound much better (clearer overall with better bass) than the stock Monsoon headunit.

Check out the Monsoon FAQ sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html
... and the general FAQ sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/303776-frequently-asked-questions.html
A search would help too.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Teching In

do i have to get one with 6 Preamp Outputs or can i use any?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I just did this a couple weeks ago, see my thread here in Stereo Electronics about replacing the monsoon.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/942985-finally-replaced-monsoon-ta.html

I really recommend an HU that has an USB input which can be used for an IPOD or just a plain old USB memory stick.

The Pioneer 5000 I got has it and I have an 8GB stick in it and its awesome.

Don't hold back, the install is very easy if you want to do it your self or some stores install for free with HU's over 150 bucks depending where you live.

I was/am blown away by how awesome the factory speakers sound with just the HU upgrade.

I was thinking of an amp and a stealth box before I installed but now I'm not sure cause the bass from the fact stealth speakers is good enough if you listen to music at the safe hearing level
Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan1998TA
do i have to get one with 6 Preamp Outputs or can i use any?
No. Almost any headunit with a built-in amp will work (most headunits). In the stock setup, the Monsoon headunit provides the standard 4 speaker-level outputs to the amp which in-turn amplifies that signal and splits it to the speakers (there are some differences between years and between the Firebird and Camaro, but that is the general of it.) Check out the FAQs/Stickies for more info.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6spd
I just did this a couple weeks ago, see my thread here in Stereo Electronics about replacing the monsoon.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942985

I really recommend an HU that has an USB input which can be used for an IPOD or just a plain old USB memory stick.

Don't hold back, the install is very easy if you want to do it your self or some stores install for free with HU's over 150 bucks depending where you live.

I was/am blown away by how awesome the factory speakers sound with just the HU upgrade.

I was thinking of an amp and a stealth box before I installed but now I'm not sure cause the bass from the fact stealth speakers is good enough if you listen to music at the safe hearing level
yea I saw your thread and I got the same unit myself should be here on thursday.
where exactly is the usb port at? do you have a picture of yours on your car?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6spd
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942985

If the stock speakers blew you away you will not beleive how much better some quality aftermarket speakers will sound...monsoon head unit .. = .. .. and the same with the monsoon speakers = ..
Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If the stock speakers blew you away you will not beleive how much better some quality aftermarket speakers will sound...monsoon head unit .. = .. .. and the same with the monsoon speakers = ..
I don't doubt it, but I'm fine with the stock speakers this year or until they blow...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bobbyd
yea I saw your thread and I got the same unit myself should be here on thursday.
where exactly is the usb port at? do you have a picture of yours on your car?
You can run the USB any where you want. THey come with 3 - 4 ft of USB cable attached to the back of the HU.

I haven't decided on an permanent place yet, so I've just got it coming out between the HVAC section and the Shifter/console. I'm condering running it into the arm rest and securing it to one of the sides.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Dunno about it bein dog squeeze. I like it much better than the Bose, and the EQ is great. It rocks fer stock.