Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help - 2nd gear? Synchros? Something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - 2nd gear? Synchros? Something else?

Well, just took my M6 swap for its first trip around the block/neighborhood and am not happy. 1st gear, 3rd, 4, 5th,6th, and R all seem to work fine, but 2nd gear is basically MIA. It just grinds trying to get into it and wants to kick itself back out. I've gotten it into 2nd a couple of times with a little bit of pressure on the stick and some fancy double, triple, quadruple clutch action, and its good once its in there as far as I can tell. If at a dead stop, you try to put it in 2nd, it just kicks itself back out, like its not fully engaging. I've bled and rebled the clutch, and being every other gear is good, I doubt thats it. Am I looking at synchro's? Or would 1st be giving me trouble as well? Is it possible I still have air in the system? Feeling pretty sick on the whole deal as of now.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by OldSchoolFormula; 06-30-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

I have a very similar issue that you had, except mine is with 4th. Just completed an m6 swap also, and was very mad to discover this. All other gears work just fine, and I can get it into 4th, but I really have to slam it and I don't like doing that.

I asked a couple tranny shops and they said it was most likely synchros, and if you don't plan on fixing it right away and still want to drive the car just skip the gear that's bad. If you keep trying to put it into gear and it is the synchros, it may break apart and tear up the rest of the tranny, so just be careful.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably the synchro. One side of it is fine and the other is torn up. I had the same problem with mine where the 5th was messed up but 6th worked. After it came apart you could see the teeth where the rings sit were messed up on the 5th side but were fine on the 6th side. You need a most likely need a 1/2 syncrho assy and rings.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Just took it out for another drive. I can get it into second a bit more now if I pull the shifter more towards me and down, but only at lower speeds. It will not go from 3rd to 2nd. 1st to second still requires some fancy clutch work, but now its not making an audible grinding sound again, just doesn't want to go. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. If I'm at a stop, and try putting it in 2nd, it feels like its engaged till I let the clutch out, then it grinds audibly and pops out. I did get it into 2nd a few times for some good 2nd, 3rd and touching 4th gear WOT pulls, but then after shifting into neutral, I couldn't get into any gears for a good 10-15 seconds.

::sigh:: Pretty sure I don't have any air trapped in the system, but I suppose its possible?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

That's exactly how my 4th gear is. It seemse like it's in, then when you let out the clutch pedal it just grinds and pops out. I too thought maybe it was air in the system, bled it out, same problem. I'm hearing synchros from everyone so I guess I'll have to check that out when I get a chance.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

did u try RPm matching into 2nd
Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

My car basicly did the same thing when i first got it. I could get it in second but it would pop out of gear right away. All the other gears worked fine though. I ended up having to replace 2nd gear, the 1-2 syncro assembly and the pads on the 1-2 shift fork were junk (probaly what caused the damage). While i was in there i upgraded the fork pads and the 3-4 fork. But in all it cost me about $400 in parts and about 12hours of my time. Not a fun fix since 2nd gear is the last gear you take off.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Its a pretty good bet that the fork pads are damaged, keeping the fork from fully engaging the syncro with the gear. The more it grinds and pops out, the more damage you are doing to the syncro assembly as well as the gear itself.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

So, I just started tearing it down - popped the front cover off and found some random pieces of black plastic. Hopefully its just a fork pad!

n/m, found some magnetic pieces stuck against the magnets, small, slightly "L shaped"

Last edited by OldSchoolFormula; 07-05-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Well, halfway apart now. Had trouble with the snap rings. Spent time making nice long arms for the 5/6 gear - and they ended up just sliding right off by hand? No puller needed.

Went to pull the case, so had to remove the two shift lever guide bolts. One was loose. Maybe thats what started all the issues. The other I can't pull, it's not a T30 as my guide says. Maybe a 35 or a 40? Either way, stores are closed now. Kinda bummed about that, wanted the case off.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Teching In

The shift rail bolts are fastened with Red Locktite. Really the only way to remove them without stripping them is to apply heat to break the locktite. A propane torch works well. Also, its a T40 Torx bit.

I've got mine sitting waiting for parts and I made a large puller just for the 5/6 driven gear. Having pulled it apart, it wasn't needed because it just slid off. Guess low miles might be a factor. The 3/4 syn. however.....

Quick Reply: Need help - 2nd gear? Synchros? Something else?