LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tracking a miss/ plug wires are crap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tracking a miss/ plug wires are crap

ive been tracking a miss ive had for a little while now. the car is falling on its face at lower RPM, and i think it has to do with the taylor wires.

i had used the plastic wire loom to seperate them about 4" above the header, and miraculously they warped so basically i have 2 blown header gaskets. the area right there is extremely hot for coated headers/stock manifolds. and the insulation cracked all to hell on #3 so i had to replace that wire (thanks tony for the spare wires!) so now they are all away from the primaries, but yet i still have the miss. im either thinking my old opti took the wire's integrity with it, or the heat from blown header gaskets are just killing them. now that the distributor is throwing hot spark to the wires they cant hold it and combined with the heat its pissing in the wind.

im gonna get a 25' roll of MSD wire and route it the same at the OTVC kit i have and see where that gets me.

now i REALLY wish i had bought the LTCC kit!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Taylor wires mounted with the OTVC kit and MSD opti! My car doesn't miss a beat at all so I have nothing bad to say about them. I used the top mounts along with zipties to keep them away from the primaries. Where is yours warped?

Also you don't hear this often but...OPTI FOR THE WIN! (Let's not start a thread war bashing optis)
Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three weeks ago I replaced the original plugs and wires on my 95 Z28. The car didnt miss at all before I replaced the 14 year old plugs n wires. I replaced them with 8mm Taylor wires and NGK plugs. The car missed like crazy. Found out that the plug wires were arcing all over the place(at each plug end, the distributor, the coil). So I figured that it had to be the wires, so first I wrapped each wire in wire loom, still missed and arced threw the wire loom. Then I pulled the OPTI and checked it for crud inside, clean as the day it was new, still missed and arced. So then I bought a new set of factory 7mm wires, I firgured it had to be the taylor wire were just junk. Guess what still missed and arced.

So after 3weeks of working on that POS, 1 trip to the Emergency Room (long story!!), and $$$ worth of throwing parts @ it. It turned out to be the brand new NGK T55GPs were junk. The spark wouldnt jump the plug gap all the time so it was just arcing out the wires. 8 new AC Delcos and no more miss.

Thats just my little LT1 missing solution, hope it helps!!!

Quick Reply: tracking a miss/ plug wires are crap