Sponsored by:

Ls1 into a 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Ls1 into a 3rd Gen

Sorry guys didn't search.

How easy is it to swap a LS1 into a 3rd gen? I guess not too hard but what sort of pitfalls are there?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If using the search button is beyond your capabilities, I'd say that the actual swap is something you should avoid.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This swap has become popular and there is a lot of info posted here, as well as thirdgen.org. I'm not trying to be a dick, but search first and then folks can help with stuff you don't find.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crainholio
If using the search button is beyond your capabilities, I'd say that the actual swap is something you should avoid.
Hay thanks dude - oh you want your knife back?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by a10beav
This swap has become popular and there is a lot of info posted here, as well as thirdgen.org. I'm not trying to be a dick, but search first and then folks can help with stuff you don't find.
I didn’t search because usually there are loads and loads of threads about stuff I’m not really interested in.

Don’t really want to spend time researching something and reading a 100 threads to only find out what one or two posts may cover.

All I’m after is a little info on taking a 3rd gen probably a 5.0 Camaro manual and fitting a Ls1.

Is it a straight forward swap or is it fairly complex requiring lots or parts and modifications.

Example – swap a LS2 into a 99 Trans Am is a pretty straight forward swap.

Fitting a LS7 to Honda accord is different level of complexity.

I’m just looking for a cheap option to make a 3rd gen nicer to drive, faster and probably better mpg for daily duties so I can keep my current z28 for the weekends.

BTW – I’ve got a TR7 V8 so I’ve done engine swaps as it started out as a 2.0 litre with a 4 speed tranny.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crainholio

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Hey thanks dude - oh you want your knife back?

Man, I really hate to cut this thread short considering the belly laughs that I've gotten from it, but maybe this will help - ThirdGen.org (aka TGO) has an entire forum devoted to swapping in LT1 & LS1 engines into these cars. Read the sticky post at the top of the page, & I'm sure you'll find that most, if not all, of your questions will have been addressed.

And if it seems that we're a little bit testy about using the search button, it's only because this question comes up about once a week... Starting out with "Sorry guys didn't search" is probably the worst way to initiate a thread.

Post up some pics, both of your TR7 & the Camaro!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Man, I really hate to cut this thread short considering the belly laughs that I've gotten from it, but maybe this will help - ThirdGen.org (aka TGO) has an entire forum devoted to swapping in LT1 & LS1 engines into these cars. Read the sticky post at the top of the page, & I'm sure you'll find that most, if not all, of your questions will have been addressed.
Cheers that's the sort of thing I was after

And if it seems that we're a little bit testy about using the search button, it's only because this question comes up about once a week... Starting out with "Sorry guys didn't search" is probably the worst way to initiate a thread.
I looked on the first couple of pages and stickies, yet didn't have anything on it. Just someone with an RS vert who's not finished their project yet.

Post up some pics, both of your TR7 & the Camaro!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

TGO sticky didn't have anything on it? This is what he was talking about, this sticky has all the basic info on what it takes to do the swap.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...want-swap.html
Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ill just post some of my experiences so far in my LS1 swap into my iroc-z.

Its been easy & Hard.

The thirdgen camaro is the closest car to anything that had an LS1 in it from the factory. The car shares the same chassis from the back of the front subframes back. The k-member is located in the same place which means the stock driveshaft is re-usable. The thirdgen transmission tunnel fits perfect with the T-56 or 4L60e, unlike older cars where the transmission tunnel must be beat to hell, or re-made. Mounting the engine is simple, spohn makes engine mounts & crossmembers for these motors, i actually custom made my own mounts & modified my own crossmember for the swap. There are a ton of bolt in parts, the thirdgen rad can be re-used with an LS1 upper rad hose, and a gates lower rad hose, intake would need to be custom made, but their easy to make anyways, steam hose can be directed into the thirdgen rad.

One of the hardest parts is exhaust, im going to either put manifolds on, modify some hedman headers or buy stainless works headers. All require a custom fabricated y-pipe which is not as easy as it sounds.

Wiring, i just couldnt do my self, i had a buddy help me with the wiring in exchange for a old 4L60e that i had here, works out in the end, teh car is wired.

Sheldo
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

I was under the impression this link was in the thirdgen.org FAQ and that I had posted it on ls1tech in all threads here for people asking about putting at LS1 in a 3rdgen in the last month, so doing a search would return it pretty easy.
I guess I was wrong.
http://team3rdgen.com/modules.php?name=3rdGenLS1
Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Well.. I"m in the middle of a third gen swap as well. Biggest headachs... Wiring and part locating. Just yell if you need any help.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine was an easy swap. I can do wiring my self so that was not an issue but for alot of guys your better off having the harness made and or getting help.

the k-member really only needs to be "modded" if you plan to use the ls1 a/c.

used spohn motor mounts, I made my own y-pipe and trans mount. I used the 2002 manifolds.

I used the t-5 master cyl with the ls1 line and slave.

everything hooked up fine like the cruise. I guess a/c is the hardest part but was not that hard at all.

I just spent most of my time making sure everything looked like it belonged under the hood.

everyone who saw it told me if they didn't know better they would have thought the ls1 was there from the factory.

Quick Reply: Ls1 into a 3rd Gen