Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Purchase (good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wideband Purchase (good or Bad)

Hey guys, I want to buy a wide band and everything i need......I dont neccesarily have to have the gauge but want to be able to monitor and tune all of my vehicles......is the wideband below a good choice or a POS. One guy told me the PLX would be a good one. I have the JET DST tuning software and I also have an ELM 322 interface that I can use for logging. I want your opinions on what software to use with which of my itmes I have. I will look forward to hearing your responses......I am ordering something today....the one below is 238 bucks....good or bad? Please give me your opinions, I would never bought JET DST if I had got other opinions before so thats why I am here to avoid buying something I'm not going to like. JET is ok but not everyone if familiar with it like HPT.....THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS

AEM's Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO

AEM's Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO Controller features an LED readout and sweeping LED needle that changes colors as AFR changes from rich to lean. The unit's 52mm (2-1/16") gauge housing fits in most gauge pods and can be remotely mounted virtually anywhere. No laptop required for monitoring!
Bosch sensor included!
24 Color-coded LED display lights provide immediate reference to engine's air/fuel ratio (AFR) or Lambda
Integrated three-digit display reveals AFR or Lambda in real time
User-programmable 0-5v analog output included for use with data loggers and ANY engine management system
Ideal AFR monitoring tool for carbureted applications and engine dynamometers
Does not oscillate AFR like narrow band sensors
Serial data stream included for output of AFR (RS 232)
Accurate to 0.1 AFR
Now supported by PCMSCAN software!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

I have used an lc-1 and plx so far. The lc-1 was honestly a piece of crap, and yes, I installed it and grounded it correctly.

Plx works great, i have it with the gauge, I wish i could program it, but thats about it. I think the AEM is alright too.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I have used an lc-1 and plx so far. The lc-1 was honestly a piece of crap, and yes, I installed it and grounded it correctly.

Plx works great, i have it with the gauge, I wish i could program it, but thats about it. I think the AEM is alright too.

What do you mean by "you wish you could program it" I can buy a slightly used AEM 30-4100 for $150.00, is this a good buy....everything is there, he just sold the car and dont need it....opinions?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

I've had my LC-1 working in the car (perm mounted) for 2.5 years now.
My first blew because I didn't ground it right, but the second one works like a champ grounded to the heads.
Bang for your buck I got off pretty well routing it through the EGR for HPTuners.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Lots of views and only two replies.....thanks for the replys Phenomic and dirty john.......

I think I am going to stop using this forum in general because you have all kinds of guys out there with tons of knowledge that will not post up and help someone trying to learn! How can you even read and learn if Noone posts??? I had a few simple questions and they were not answered......I have not yet bought a wideband because I was awaiting your responses.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PLX has no free-air cal though!! It's sensor cal is based on the resistor in the connector, which is not (can not) be dynamic like the sensor itself. Units like these will drift and unlike, for example, your LC1, which can be calibrated to overcome the error that you get with usage, your PLX will just drift out leaving you thinking that it is working properly.

I would personally avoid any units that have no free-air cal capability.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by carfreak07
Lots of views and only two replies.....thanks for the replys Phenomic and dirty john.......

I think I am going to stop using this forum in general because you have all kinds of guys out there with tons of knowledge that will not post up and help someone trying to learn! How can you even read and learn if Noone posts??? I had a few simple questions and they were not answered......I have not yet bought a wideband because I was awaiting your responses.
Don't do that, this place is great.
Give it some time, its only been a day.
Wideband brands have been debated pretty heavily here in the past so maybe look up some of those threads.
The well schooled in this topic have given replies to this, maybe just not directly to you, so give them a chance.

I had/and am having good luck with my LC-1, however there are lots of horror stories out there, which may or may not have been user error.
Working in a support environment though, I can say with confidence errors/problems are at least 80% of the time user error.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using a Zeitronix unit. They have some nice stuff.

Last edited by horist; 07-02-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: blatant advertisement
Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

Most people don't react well to negative input/comments.

I can say I am without a wideband right now because I put at least $400 into a Innovate LM-1 with stuff to tune two vehicles, and shipping it back to them three times.

Thats right three times. I only used the god damn thing maybe 6 hours tops. The people I talked to were real ******* ****** saying it's taking so long because they first test it to see if it's a user caused failure or the unit itself failed. If it's me causing the failure I'm going to be paying for the repair. All three times with mine they fixed it for free, so that tells me right there where the problem was.

Last time I got it back I plugged it in to see if it even worked, the screen was flickering kind of weird. I sold it on ebay for just about what I had in extra o2 bungs and shipping it back for repairs.
INNOVATE SUCKS.
PS nice test posted in the link, it's only four years old. I'd like to see them test an innovate now, probably take it out of the box and say **** it, damn thing didn't work.

One other thing, you want to see them in action visit their forum, and say you're having a problem with something. It's ALWAYS your fault, or something you're doing wrong. According to them.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM

i went with the motec but i use it strictly for tuning and it hasnt done me wrong in a year and a half and prolly 20 to 30 tuning session
Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Damn I missed this...

You waited less than 24hours and you are mad? I worked for 14 and 1/2 hours yesterday myself, and I am at work now and when I posted this morning. You are lucky I posted what I did before reading your comment.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I wouldnt say mad......but 100 people looked at the post and only 2 replied, makes me kinda wonder ya know?

I really need to know what kind of setup I can go with so I can log data?
The JET cable has a plug in on it for the wideband hookup......does this work on any wideband or only certain ones? I know that I sound novice on this and its because I am, the only wideband I have ever seen was stuck up my tailpipe on the dyno. I do want one that is not going to need calibrated constantly and such.....I dont need a gauge or anything, just a nice program that is user friendly and will allow me to go back and review my WOT passes and cruise times. I will purchase one with a gauge but it isnt neccesary.....would the one below be good? Would I need anything else with it? Thanks a bunch guys!!

FJO Mini Wideband AFR Controller Kit (Single Channel - with RPM input and software)
Part # FJO KWB4001
Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

What good is a calibration feature if it won't calibrate properly in the first place?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

What good is a calibration feature if it won't calibrate properly in the first place?
that has nothing to do with the point I was making and FWIW, there are many units that do free-air cal besides the LC1.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

So what are you saying about the PLX? its not very accurate?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Why do widebands get people so emotional?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Im just curious cause i have one in my car and eventually want to run HP tuners off of it...

that makes sense now, doesn't it DirtyJohn?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
Why do widebands get people so emotional?
When you spend 200$ and get junk and expect it to work, and no matter what anyone tells you, your tune won't work out, you can get pretty emotional. Especially when summer is only 3 months long and thats about the only time I have to enjoy my car.

I switched to a plx and tuned my car in a day or two.

My bad Frost, i thought about that after I posted it.

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 07-02-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Makes sense just fine, I was really commenting on how heated threads about these and other topics get.
There could be made a top 10 of controversial mods/products etc on this board that get people all cranky.
The LC-1 is just one I've seen that people get pretty excited about, and I couldn't help myself.

I really wasn't commenting on the logic or appropriateness of your question man.

Ill shut up, let this thread get back on track and keep my social commentary to myself before I **** more people off.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL u better...
im playing... i know what your saying. A lot of people here are nut swingers