Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Help me launch my 500rwhp c5.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me launch my 500rwhp c5.

Alright guys i went to the track and was having some major issues. First i have a couple of questions and then whatever advice you can give on the subject would help also.

First is it even possible to hook 500rw with nittos. If so what is the optimum pressure? I tried 17psi once and it didnt seem to help.

Also i dont want to break my rear end so is anything other than slipping the clutch out an option?

I was trying to launch at 1800rpms but it would just bog and then light up first and the beginning of 2nd. My 60 foot times were all around 2.5 or worse, and i was running 12.4's at 122.

How much abuse can the stock rear take, and do et streets make it any easier on the rear end or worse?

Thanks for the help guys.

Also burnouts seem like they will break something. It feels like the rear is getting all binded up trying to grab, it doest just spin like a solid axle car. And what rpms should i dump at?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

with your power and those tires there is a fine line between bog or boil. I'd suggest stepping up to a drag pack if you're thinking about spending time at the track.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
Alright guys i went to the track and was having some major issues. First i have a couple of questions and then whatever advice you can give on the subject would help also.

First is it even possible to hook 500rw with nittos. If so what is the optimum pressure? I tried 17psi once and it didnt seem to help.

Also i dont want to break my rear end so is anything other than slipping the clutch out an option?

I was trying to launch at 1800rpms but it would just bog and then light up first and the beginning of 2nd. My 60 foot times were all around 2.5 or worse, and i was running 12.4's at 122.

How much abuse can the stock rear take, and do et streets make it any easier on the rear end or worse?

Thanks for the help guys.

Also burnouts seem like they will break something. It feels like the rear is getting all binded up trying to grab, it doest just spin like a solid axle car. And what rpms should i dump at?
You just described everything we go thru to drag race a RR-intended car.
You need to decide , like Boost aluded to, whether or not you want to track this car alot. If so get a drag pack as mentioned and be prepared to possibly break some parts if you want to run some strong numbers.

If you just want to run the occasional high 10 sec pass, you should be able to do so without beating on the car so much.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A C5 rear( differential ) can take a fair amount of abuse. Definitely upgrade the differential output shafts. Most people making over 750 to 800 rwhp do beef up the rest of the differential. It is a good idea to upgrade the transmission once you start to break into the 700ish range. If you are making 500ish rwhp, both your transmission and differential should hold OK with the exception of upgrade the differential output shaft(s). The ET Streets are much better on the driveline than DRs. The ET Streets do absorb some of the initial torque of the launch unlike DRs which do not and make the driveline absorb everything.

Keith
Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Launch at a bigger higher rpm and roll into the throttle more. It sounds like you are dumping then bogging and flooring it. Maybe you will not be able to floor it at all in first. With a little practice you should be able to get back to 2.0 or even down to 1.8 without having to hammer the driveline.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with RobZ and Alwaysinboost with you have to decide what your goals and budget are. If you want low 11's high 10's and want a street look, pick up some 17in wagon wheels and put some ET streets on bias ply. Most say they dont experience as much sway with running the big tires in the front and these in the rear. With a 16in rear rim you will sway due to the radials in the front.

Your launch will be like this: (after doing a healthy burnout with back half of the car having a fair amount of smoke, possibly 2nd gear for maybe 5-10seconds of burnout)
Rev your car to approx 4500rpm holding the rpm steady. As the lights come down for your launch you will let the clutch out quickly (NOT A DUMP!!!!) and as you let your clutch out to the point where it grabs start rolling into the gas. Before the clutch is fully engaged you want to be approaching 100% throttle. Just as the clutch is out all the way you want it floored and going. The slightest bit of nose drop will crap all over your ET. Your goal IMO should be 60fts between 1.60-1.70 next time out. Your times will drastically improve and chicks will start to dig you!
If money is there do the drag pack and LAUNCH THAT SOB at 6000rpm and look for low 1.5x 60fts and mid 10's.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Launching!

What is the drag pack? just wheels and tires, or some suspension stuff? Thanks for the advice. I will try to go this sunday and get some better times.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drag pack is a set of skinny front wheels/tires and 16in rear rims with usually a ET street bias ply tires. This reduces the rolling weight and increases traction with the better tire combination.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have no advice to give...I BREAK EVERYTHING !!!

Good luck...follow the above advice and have fun !!!

Pitt
Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

This Zturd guy sounds like a professional!!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nickolbag
This Zturd guy sounds like a professional!!!!
YOU DICK i mean Nick I learned it from watching you.....you damnit!!!!!!! I learned it from you. LOL!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Come out on a nitto and stock diff @ 3500 rpm,..slip the clutch, short shift 1st, hit second(no power shift)........poser shift third,....power shift 4th.

Should net you a 1.8 and an 11 second pass with that combo,.....from what I read anyways.

The gents above are correct but, if you buy a DRAG PACK,..your gonna break some ****.

If your doing a burn out,...I honestly don't pay attention to the TACh as to where exactly it is that I dump the clutch but,....i'd say a quick blip of the throttle, hitting atleast4500-5000 rpms then quickly stabbing the brakes, should get you a nice and effortless wheel spin.

However, make sure your back tires have rolled through the water box before you attempt your burnout.

I'm no pro,...just an opinion.

Happy hunting
Old 07-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Launching!

Well i dont want to break anything. I may go out this sunday and try some of these tips. Thanks guys.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Also...

...check out Rangers web site,he is the master of low vette Et's!
Dominic
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zturd
YOU DICK i mean Nick I learned it from watching you.....you damnit!!!!!!! I learned it from you. LOL!
And with my coaching assistance this fall at Atco you will run 10s!!!! I promise you.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

You will break on drag radials far sooner than ET Streets which come in the drag pack. 300 passes and the only I have broke is the long out put shaft and that was on BFG Drag radials. My way is a higher rpm and close to a dump, as we want some tire spin. it's the dead hook that will be the most likely to break something, esp on DR. My best at your power level has been a 1.51 60"er on the 17" ET Streets, but more left there when I am ready. best on DR 1.531 at about 480hp. My buddy whom used to run the Nitto before going to the ETs ran about the 1.7x area as his best 60. The burn out will hurt nothing if done correctly so don't worry as it's needed for a good run.
Robert
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert56
You will break on drag radials far sooner than ET Streets which come in the drag pack. 300 passes and the only I have broke is the long out put shaft and that was on BFG Drag radials. My way is a higher rpm and close to a dump, as we want some tire spin. it's the dead hook that will be the most likely to break something, esp on DR. My best at your power level has been a 1.51 60"er on the 17" ET Streets, but more left there when I am ready. best on DR 1.531 at about 480hp. My buddy whom used to run the Nitto before going to the ETs ran about the 1.7x area as his best 60. The burn out will hurt nothing if done correctly so don't worry as it's needed for a good run.
Robert
Good advice right there.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Good advice right there.
I agree as well.

I cut a 1.60 60 ft (with 17 inch MT) spinning my toosh off in my z06 when i ran my 10.50. This of course was a little bit more power though as i was on the gas.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

I had the Nitto 555r's and I broke my right output shaft during a burnout! I only forged the left one, cuz thats what everybody says to do, when I changed my rear gears. Anyways, I would launch at 3500rpm's with nitrous while riding the clutch. That was the only way I could get a descent 0-60ft time. I would also have the PSI of the tires at 12. you are doing 17psi and I think that is too much. When I bogged, was when I stuck and didnt ride the clutch. I know, riding the clutch is bad, but if you are going to do it once in a while its alright.

Anyways, I got rid of those Piece of **** tires and went with et streets and now i launch at 4000 with nitrous and have better et times.

My $.02
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Default Results

Sooooo, Membr19....what happened ???? Fill us in..and if you ran a ten second 1/4, don't reply to this post...Zturd will hunt you down and it won't be pretty...LOL

Pitt

Quick Reply: Help me launch my 500rwhp c5.