General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I have a question about my engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question about my engine

Hello sorry if this is a newb question I'm new

I have asked people about a knock in my engine. Alot of people said piston slap. But I havnt posted what my engine sounded like, and I was looking around and some people say that the lifters knock or the rods knock. So I figured I would post what my engine sounded like so that maybe a really exsperianced LS1 person can hopfuly identify before I start shelling money to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nqgu5gA8bo
sorry if the video is a bit dark. I was mainly trying to just get the sound.

And I know alot of people say that piston slap isnt anything to worry about. But the sound drives me totaly insaine so I want to fix it no matter if its good or bad hehe. Plus the sound never really goes away when I first start it. It's always there, it may get a bit quieter after about and hour of running around. However not by much. Alot of people say piston slap gets quieter, and the fact that mine doesnt makes me wonder if its a lifter or piston slap. Anyway can someone please help

The car I have is a 2001 trans am ws6 with 72,400 miles on it.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say check the rocker arms first!! take off the valve cover and see if one of them worked there way loose
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes that dont sound liek normal valve train noise. But it could be ls1 sound like someone is shooting a tin garbage can.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rod knock from the sound of it, the car hasnt been sprayed or FI has it? Maybe a broken piston they can sound pretty nasty or not even hear them. What is you HOT oil pressure and check the oil for any metalic dust on the stick. If you see some drain the oil and check the plug and cut the filter in half. Good luck
Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely not valvetrain noise. x2 for rod knock.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by beedo
Rod knock from the sound of it, the car hasnt been sprayed or FI has it? Maybe a broken piston they can sound pretty nasty or not even hear them. What is you HOT oil pressure and check the oil for any metalic dust on the stick. If you see some drain the oil and check the plug and cut the filter in half. Good luck
When it is hot the oil pressure is a bit under the half way point. if my memory is correct. I'll have to look at it when I do some running around tomorrow.

If it is a rod knock can my warrenty fix it? I would think you would have to take the whole engine apart for that. And if it isnt rod knock, I dont think the warrenty would pay for just "checking" lol.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont know what warranty you have but most will not cover diagnoses, but will prob be a 1 hr charge from the dealer or plac you go. Im sure they will be able to tell you what it is when you get it in the shop by listining.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

do you use premium gas?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by TransFan
do you use premium gas?
I have in the past for about half a year, but it never made a difference. It always knocked. With gas prices now I cant afford premium.

Originally Posted by beedo
Dont know what warranty you have but most will not cover diagnoses, but will prob be a 1 hr charge from the dealer or plac you go. Im sure they will be able to tell you what it is when you get it in the shop by listining.
Well, I dont know what it is called. It's just a powertrain warranty. I used it in the past to fix something, but it was small. I also looked at my oil pressure when hot. at idle it sits just after the line that is be fore the 40 line in the middle. When Im moving it goes up to just under the 40. So I dont think oil pressure is an issue. It doesnt rock back and forth eather when idle, it stays steady. Is there a way to fix a rod knock w/o having to take the whole engine apart? Or is that the only way?

Last edited by Evil Wolf; 07-02-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

keep premium in that engine. It's only a dollar more per five gallons.. not as expensive as you think.. I'd check in on that warranty, seeing how it's powertrain.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by TransFan
keep premium in that engine. It's only a dollar more per five gallons.. not as expensive as you think.. I'd check in on that warranty, seeing how it's powertrain.
Ya I'm going to call them on Monday. I woke up to late today to call them