General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Feels Like It's Going To Fall Apart

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Feels Like It's Going To Fall Apart

Well I dunno what's happening. I was driving down the highway today and my car started shaking really bad. Well it's still doing it. It only does it really bad when I'm going 60-70 mph. Mostly any other speed is only half bad. I just changed my front tires a couple weeks ago and my back were still good. I changed them myself so they ain't balanced or anything. But it's been a couple weeks and it just started doing it. I was thinking maybe this could be a broken engine mount or something. Has anyone had this problem before or know what it could be so I can check cause it's really really annoying driving down the road getting shook up like a paint can in one of them shaker things to mix the paint. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Launching!

BTW no codes are being thrown.

=\
Old 07-02-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

might be your driveshaft. If im not mistaken some driveshafts were not balanced properly.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm gonna say it more than likely needs a wheel balance. Most driveshafts vibrations occur after the torque arm has been swapped for an adjustable one. Not to mention that your driveshaft is a 2 piece so I'd rule that out. It sounds like you're completely stock, so I'd start with checking the balance out.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 AM

Stupid question, but have you retorqued your lug nuts since you changed the tires. Check that and if it is not, I would say that you do need them balanced.imo
Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Launching!

No I haven't retorqued them. That's what I was thinking too was they need balanced but then I thought well I've been driving like this for 2 weeks and it just started outta no where so that's what made me think it might be something else. I'll be checking it out later today after I get off work though.

Also I didn't mention this but it's kinda of in a rythm when it shakes. It don't do it constantly. Like it will shake for a couple seconds then stop for a couple and then do it again for a couple seconds and just keep going back and forth. This also made me think it was something else. Sorry for leaving it out I was gonna say it in my first post I guess I just forgot.

And I was thinking that if it needed balanced it would shake constantly instead of in a rhythem that loops too far apart for it to be wheels cause the wheels spin so fast it would be a constant shake. I dunno never had this kind of problem that's why I'm asking.

Last edited by Craiggg; 07-02-2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Forgot Stuff
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

It could possibly be a bad pair of tires too. Either way I think it's definitely related to the source of where you made the changes. What PSI do you have them at? It could be too much air, uneven threads.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Craiggg
And I was thinking that if it needed balanced it would shake constantly instead of in a rhythem that loops too far apart for it to be wheels cause the wheels spin so fast it would be a constant shake. I dunno never had this kind of problem that's why I'm asking.

And no, not neccessarily will tires shake all the time. Depending on how badly unbalanced they are, most vibrations show up at higher speeds only.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Launching!

I just got home and looked at the tire I thought it would be and there is a huge gash cut out of it. There must have been something in the road and it gashed it. It's so bad i'm surprised it's not blown out. Probably about 1/2 inch deep and 8 inches long and 2 inches wide gash cut out. I've drove for probably 4 hours after it happened so far. It really should be blown out by now. But I'm going to get it changed tommorow probably. Hopefully it fixes it. If not i'll post back here again.

BTW it's not one of the front tires I just put on.

Quick Reply: Car Feels Like It's Going To Fall Apart