Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec mini twin

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default spec mini twin

Any one had any experience with the spec mini twin?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made the same post about a week ago seeing if anybody has used it. i got no feedback either
Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

seems like an expensive experiment.

I tried pming spec-1 to get a weight and material make up of components but I havn't gotten a response yet.

the regular spec twin is in the 50 lb range, which is too heavy for me.

I need to get the ball rolling on my purchase, scheduled for a race in a week.

I'm thinking about going with the zoom stage 2 twin
Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dmiz0420
seems like an expensive experiment.

I tried pming spec-1 to get a weight and material make up of components but I havn't gotten a response yet.

the regular spec twin is in the 50 lb range, which is too heavy for me.

I need to get the ball rolling on my purchase, scheduled for a race in a week.

I'm thinking about going with the zoom stage 2 twin

ya, i would like to know the info too. when i looked at the clutch on byunspeed, it says limited street use, so i wonder how streetable the clutch is too. i really dont want to be the test victim on it
Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I haven't heard anything about it, but it may be more of a road race oriented clutch much like the tilton.

It uses smaller disks for less rotating mass but the disks are not designed to take heat. prolonged slipping of the clutch in normal traffic would kill it. Lots of the corvette guys that run tilton wench their cars onto the trailer to not destroy the clutch.

If you guys are in need of a clutch give us a call we carry all of the textralia and rps clutches in stock,
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
I haven't heard anything about it, but it may be more of a road race oriented clutch much like the tilton.

It uses smaller disks for less rotating mass but the disks are not designed to take heat. prolonged slipping of the clutch in normal traffic would kill it. Lots of the corvette guys that run tilton wench their cars onto the trailer to not destroy the clutch.

If you guys are in need of a clutch give us a call we carry all of the textralia and rps clutches in stock,
there are two different versions of the clutch, one for limited street/drag and the other says limited street/road racing/yada yada.

so i guess this wouldnt be the best idea for a street/strip car? i am trying to keep the rotating mass down on my setup
Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JDP
there are two different versions of the clutch, one for limited street/drag and the other says limited street/road racing/yada yada.

so i guess this wouldnt be the best idea for a street/strip car? i am trying to keep the rotating mass down on my setup
You do know that a heavier mass flywheel will actually help you out while drag racing right? it will allow the motor to carry more momentum through the launch and each shift.

If this was a road racing car then you do want the lightest weight most responsive setup.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
You do know that a heavier mass flywheel will actually help you out while drag racing right? it will allow the motor to carry more momentum through the launch and each shift.

If this was a road racing car then you do want the lightest weight most responsive setup.
maybe you should read this thread i started thats been going on for over 2 years now

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/492270-aluminum-flywheel-1-4-mile-car.html
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JDP
maybe you should read this thread i started thats been going on for over 2 years now

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492270
and after 2 years it's still a 50/50 split. I have had better results with steel heavier flywheels than with light ones.

The shop GTO went 10.1 full weight and with a super heavy twin disk, cant ague with results
Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

alex is correct.heavier=easier to launch and shift.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only time i recommend a lightweight flywheel for a drag car is when the car is severely traction limited and in that case you want to not hit the tire as hard on the launch, rare IMO. if this is a road course car then this is a different story of course

Quick Reply: spec mini twin