Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally I got some pictures of my Firehawk online.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally I got some pictures of my Firehawk online.

Hopefully these will give me a little credibility when I post my opinions on detailing. I also have pictures of the car under flourescent lights (to show the true brilliance of the finish), but I haven't gotten them online yet (my buddy is hosting these for me).

These pictures were taken after I had done the bodywork - still needed to finish the wheels, tires, fenderwells, etc., but you get the gist.

The album is at: http://photo.starblvd.net/redturbo90?st=album&pg=3 but I think I included most of the decent pictures

-Tom

Old 08-20-2003, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Finally I got some pictures of my car online.

Man the car looks incredible! What kind of wax do you use?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice...there is nothing like finely detailed black!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

its like a black mirror, fkn awsome man, is it repainted and buffed, and if so how long can you go before rebuffing?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

That is THE best looking Turbo Buick I've ever seen. Awesome!

Tony
Old 08-20-2003, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

lolol Turbo Buick. Turbo Buicks are my obsession - thats why I have the icon. As soon as I get the money, my 1990 will be turboed - already I am working on making it a 5-speed.

For the pontiac, that is the collective efort of washing and claying, using a porter cable polisher to apply Menzerna intensive polish, menzerna final polish, blackfire polish (filler really), blackfire all finish paint protection (only 2 coats as of those pictures). My goal is about 20 coats of blackfire and then top it off with zymol for REALLY deep shine. The car really is that deep and shiny (I tried to take from different angles and up close). I really like the blackfire shine, you can even see the individual blades of grass in the side reflections - i find it less sterile than zaino, and when topped with zymol the stuff is increduble. The paint is original paint that has not been wetsanded or buffed (there is factory orange peel on the roof hoop like they all have), and when I got the car it had 16000 miles worth of daily driving grit and spiderwebbing on it.

-Tom
Old 08-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking car. I wish my black Cobra looked that clean. The Firehawk hood is the best of the best IMO.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can I find blackfire products
Old 08-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

Where can I find blackfire products
This should help..........

http://www.properautocare.com/blacwhatdif.html

and the products......

http://www.properautocare.com/blackfire.html
Old 08-21-2003, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good
Old 08-21-2003, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the compliments, I appreciate it. Has anyone else on this thread ever tried blackfire stuff, or is it all mostly zaino users? Before using blackfire (or zaino, or whatever) on any dark color car, I strongly reccommend giving the menzerna polishes a try. The depth ot the finish can be attributed to the blackfire (though it would/will be even deeper with quality carnauba like zymol or pinnalce), the shine and lack of blemishes is attributable to the menzerna polishes. Also, the porter cable DA polisher is awesome, for you detail fanatics who don't have one of these - save your money and pick one up. Well worth it IMHO(and much less risky - albeit less capable than a true orbital buffer). I'd love to see the results on a red camaro/trans am.
-Tom
Old 08-21-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice, shiny Hawk.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sparkley
Old 08-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Blackfire and Zaino, you are correct when you say the Blacfire has more of a carnauba type shine. I think Zaino is more durable through washes and the elements though.

The entire "depth" thing is odd. I have noticed it when the car is in bright and there is nothing to reflect off of the paint. The Blackfire will reflect the clouds from 10 feet away when Zaino will just look like a flat red hood until you get really close and look at something off the hood.

For everyday use I think the Zaino shines more, the "sterile" look that Zaino can produce is something you would hardly ever notice and I don't feel it's worth the trade off of durability and everyday shine.

As we all know, there is no one wonder product, everything has it faults, yes, even ZAINO!! haha
Old 08-21-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with that for the most part Joe. However, for me, durability is not very important as it is for you. I agree you would hardly ever notice it(the sterile shine, most people don't and thats why everyone is all like "OMG OMG OMG OMG ZAINO IS THE BEST THING EVER, I WANT TO BATHE IN IT!!", however, for a super picky paint freak loser like myself, I notice it. I'll spend all day just to get something 2% better than if I had only spent a few hours. I think you understand Joe, mr "just spend a few hours on each panel".

The whole thing is part science and alot of art. what looks amazing to some looks horrid to others. For me, nothing but brand new untouched paint looks good, so that is why I am so picky and I constantly find fault with my own finish, and try new products and hate some and love others. So far I'm impressed with this combination.

Cheers!

-Tom
Old 08-21-2003, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Superbuick......if you don't mind me asking how much would a starter kit of Menzerna and blackfire cost? What Menaerna and Blackfire products do you recommend. I just got back from a 10 month deployment in support of Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. So you can imagine how much T.L.C. my Trans AM needs. Love the Shine on the Hawk. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Finally I got some pictures of my car online. *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Blu Beast
Old 08-21-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well from the sound of it you would want to do the same regimen I did. I started with Menzerna Intensive polish, did that, went to Menzerna Final Polish, then to blackfire gloss enhancing polish (more a wetting agent/filler/glaze than a polish), then to blackfire all finish paint protection (and eventually after that to zymol - but thats only for shows) The key to the polishing, how I had such good results, was through the use of the dual action polisher. By hand you could never get that many swirls out (unless you did it for weeks on end). After the intensive polish the finish looks REAL dull and chalky, but its supposed to. The final polish brings the shine right back and then you wipe with water/alcohol to remove any polish residues (for all you skeptics who think that its just a filler).

www.properautocare.com is where I got my stuff, and I got the Menzerna polish and pad kit ($65 i think) and the blackfire perfect shine kit ($299 but thats including a porter cable ultimate detailing machine).

If you have a polisher, or you want to try it by hand, I reccomend the menzerna get acquainted kit (http://www.properautocare.com/mengetackit.html) and for the blackfire end of things, the new car kit (http://www.properautocare.com/blacnewcarki.html) should do the trick.

Those products will give you similar results for less than what I paid for the full kits.

On a side note, thanks for what you did/do for this country, and its good to know you're back safe. I support our troops!!!

Thanks for the compliments.

-Tom
Old 08-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Launching!

That looks great!! Good job!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow i thought my car was clean, u make mine look like its about 10 years older! awesome job man that looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good

Quick Reply: Finally I got some pictures of my Firehawk online.