Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket head unit and now no sound from speakers (1994 Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket head unit and now no sound from speakers (1994 Z28)

I have a 1994 Z28 with a stock sound system. I bought a JVC KD-G140 head unit brand new. I also bought the wiring harness adaptor and antenna adaptor. I installed it all and it turns on and seems to function fine, but there's no sound from the speakers. I plug the stock radio back in and it's fine. The adaptor harness seems pretty idiot proof (except for this idiot apparently). The wires are color coded. I have the speakers wires all set, and the ground, constant power, and switched power all connected.

I also hooked up the JVC radio from my brother's Saturn to see if it worked. The harness was already all hooked up from the saturn and it's the same connector. It works fine in his car, but in mine there's no sound. Like I said, plug the stock radio back in and it works fine.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Is your original radio a Bose? The Bose systems used a different headunit that didn't produce speaker-level output because there were individual amps attached to each speaker. You'll need an additional adapter to connect a standard aftermarket head unit to the Bose system.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Is your original radio a Bose? The Bose systems used a different headunit that didn't produce speaker-level output because there were individual amps attached to each speaker. You'll need an additional adapter to connect a standard aftermarket head unit to the Bose system.
That's good info because I'm pretty sure his stock unit was a Bose unit and I should have thought of that when he called me last night.

Any ideas on where said adapter can be purchased or details on the adapter itself so we can find one?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Probably the best deal I've seen for one of the adapters (other than buying out of somebody's trunk ) is here.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, how about this one? Will it work? Just want to give him some options.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JAj6A33...C4GM02&tp=3486
Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that will work as well although I tend to trust the quality of PIE products more than Scosche.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Thanks, yeah it is a Bose, so I'll have to find one of those harnesses. If I can't get one at a store around here then I'll order it.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Thanks, yeah it is a Bose, so I'll have to find one of those harnesses. If I can't get one at a store around here then I'll order it.
Now before you do this, you really have to ask yourself if you want to get rid of that kickass cassette deck. I think I have an old Best of Heart tape you can have if you decide to keep it.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:44 PM

LOL, first off, the cassette deck doesn't even work, lol.

Well, I called a local shop and explained it to them and they told me to connect the remote amp wire from the radio to the blue and white "power antenna" wire on the connector and sure enough it works perfectly. Next up will be the crappy stock speakers.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Don't turn it up too much or you'll blow the amps - they're not designed for that much input power.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:24 AM

After messing with the settings, it sounds pretty good even with the crappy, stock speakers. It doesn't need to be turned up too much and it cranks, so I definitely believe you about blowing something by hammering the volume. Down the road I'll upgrade it a bit more, but for now I'm gonna save a bit for some performance mods