LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Odd offering at Autozone for 96 Camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Odd offering at Autozone for 96 Camaro...

I went over to their site to see if they have any stock plug wires for my car. I'm having immense problems with my ignition system (LTCC, LS1 Coils, new Taylor wires, New Optispark, New Opti Pigtail, New plugs) and I'm going to go back to stock coil/ICM/Plug wires to see if I can isolate the problem (LTCC?)
So, I'm drilling down to ignition parts and I see this...
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP1126401...ductDetail.htm
Trigger Ignition Conversion kit? I think you'd need more than this unless there's some undisplayed parts in the 'kit'.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need an old school distributor.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your problem with the way it runs? My son just put a LTCC on his car with a reman opti, with out rotor of course and had problems. He ended up purchasing a NEW GM opti and it fixed the issue. He did alot of cheking around and found a lot guys had problems trying this set up with the reman. This could fix yours.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Using both the opti that had been running fine before the rebuild of the motor as well as a new Summit Opti(probably rebuilt) it does the exact same thing. Sparks very erratically. Miight throw sparks 1 to many times but will skip a few cycles then resume. This is on every plug of the 8. Like I mentioned above, I tried 2 complete sets of LS1 coils, Two different optis, 3 sets of plugs, new wires, 2 opti pigtails. Pulled the wiring harness apart to check for shorts. It's been kicking my *ss...lol
Old 07-03-2008, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

I even bought a new wiring harness for it but, due to a stupid guy at Fedex who charged the seller expedited charges for overnight but shipped it ground anyway, I won't get it until this time next week.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You try it with out the LTCC? I know of a few high HP cars like yours that had nothing but trouble and grief with that LTCC box. p.s this is Neil, if you wanna eat dinner next week lemme know.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
You try it with out the LTCC? I know of a few high HP cars like yours that had nothing but trouble and grief with that LTCC box. p.s this is Neil, if you wanna eat dinner next week lemme know.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Neil ! Actually, I'm trying that tonight. Went out at lunch and bought a coil/ICM... they didn't have plug wires though. I have 4 auto stores I can stop at on the way home so surely I can find a set. I'm just going to hook it all up and see if it fires (consistently) by spinning the opti by hand. If so, I'll put it together and start driving the car (FINALLY!) On the LTCC errors, really?! My first one was solid as an anvil. Never had any issue. I do think there's something wrong with this one but I will know for absolute sure if the stock coil/Icm formats works.
I'd down for some Ottos BBQ or LaFiesta!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Hey Neil ! Actually, I'm trying that tonight. Went out at lunch and bought a coil/ICM... they didn't have plug wires though. I have 4 auto stores I can stop at on the way home so surely I can find a set. I'm just going to hook it all up and see if it fires (consistently) by spinning the opti by hand. If so, I'll put it together and start driving the car (FINALLY!) On the LTCC errors, really?! My first one was solid as an anvil. Never had any issue. I do think there's something wrong with this one but I will know for absolute sure if the stock coil/Icm formats works.
I'd down for some Ottos BBQ or LaFiesta!
I have a set of plug wires, I just needed one since I burned one on the header, their a set of brand new taylors, its only missing one wire, the number #6 cyl, do you need them? I have them for you if you want them.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Are they the precut kind? The main thing I need from the set for my evaluation/test of the system is the coil wire. Do you have that?

I have a set of plug wires, I just needed one since I burned one on the header, their a set of brand new taylors, its only missing one wire, the number #6 cyl, do you need them? I have them for you if you want them.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Are they the precut kind? The main thing I need from the set for my evaluation/test of the system is the coil wire. Do you have that?
They are the pre-cut, I hate the do it your self make your own length kits with a passion. I'll look but I only used one plug wire, so I'm psotive the coil wire is still in the kit.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 07-03-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Thats okay chief. The cheap wires they have at the shops along the way are only $3x.xx. We'd probably waste that much in gasoline at todays prices, trying to meet.
Thanks!

They are the pre-cut, I hate the do it your self make your own length kits with a passion. I'll look but I only used one plug wire, so I'm psotive the coil wire is still in the kit.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... that link shows up as a cheap nitrous kit for me!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Wow.. It must be their special of the week page or something.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Well... Just put a new stock coil ($37) and Ignition Control Module ($71) and a set of stock Duralast/Autozone Plug wires ($35) on the car and just the 'old' opti to spin/generate the spark signal. What? No spark? Wait, what's that noice? The old opti is making a bunch of Chattering noises inside. Then I remember, "Oh, that's right. This is that piece of crap non-functioning(the high voltage part) Opti of someone elses that HPE gave me when they screwed me over on that roller cam motor". So, I just put 3 plug wires with plugs on them onto the New Summit Opti bolted to the engine. I spun it over. What? No spark?.. Oh wait (sheepish grin) I forgot to hook up the harness to the engines opti. Hooked it up, said a prayer, spun the engine. Hot damn! Sparks! And evenly timed too (at least it seems so at this point). I'm going to put the sparkplugs in the heads, route the plug wires as best I can around the Hotsides Log manifolds and once everything is connected to the point I can start it (no waterpump, etc is hooked while I'm in diagnostic mode here) I'll fire her up. I sure hope I'm greeted by a V8 running on all 8 for a change.

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 07-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackz93
Hmmm... that link shows up as a cheap nitrous kit for me!
Me too.

I'm sure if it was a crank trigger kit, it was for a GEN I, which is basically what a LT1 is. Lots of sites still show up crap for GEN I for GEN II :\
Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Yes. It was an MSD Crank trigger. I guess their marketing dept is getting creative. "Ignition Upgrade for 96 Z28 Camaro - MSD Crank Trigger Kit". is what it said. The "kit" consisted of the sensor w/pigtail, a bracket for the sensor and the flying wheel. That's it. No implication of how in the heck you could make everything else work with this 'kit'. It should have the typical tiny font disclaimer at the bottom of the ad stating "this product might need additional items for maximum performance". Additional items like Megasquirt II and a conventional rear mount distributor, hahaha..
Old 07-05-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Yes. It was an MSD Crank trigger. I guess their marketing dept is getting creative. "Ignition Upgrade for 96 Z28 Camaro - MSD Crank Trigger Kit". is what it said. The "kit" consisted of the sensor w/pigtail, a bracket for the sensor and the flying wheel. That's it. No implication of how in the heck you could make everything else work with this 'kit'. It should have the typical tiny font disclaimer at the bottom of the ad stating "this product might need additional items for maximum performance". Additional items like Megasquirt II and a conventional rear mount distributor, hahaha..
Be advised that the bracket holding the sensor for an LT1 needs to be somewhat longer than the bracket for a conventional small block due to the fact that the front damper is extended forward to clear the Optispark. I don't remember the exact distance but it's somewhere around an inch. It's possible to run the crank trigger and distribute the spark through the Opti instead of a conventional distributor. NHRA Stock Eliminator LT1s use this set up. Of course, they also use aftermarket FI controllers such as Holley, Accel, or FAST and usually MSD ignitions. The optical sensing part of the Opti can be removed completely since the crank trigger serves that purpose. The best examples of these cars are capable of ETs in the 10.40s using stock lift camshafts, and stock throttle-bodies so they're not giving anything away with the use of these parts.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

If you decide to ditch the LTCC or you want to sell your extra wiring harness, I am in need of one pretty bad. I have the LTCC box, coils and wires already. I just need a harness to make it all work. Please PM me if you decide to sell one.

Quick Reply: Odd offering at Autozone for 96 Camaro...