Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Imput bearing Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input bearing Issues?

Hello dudes. Im new here and new to the ls1 community. I have always been a turbo japcar guy in the past but have moved into a 88 10th anniversary rx7 turbo 2 with a 2001 LS1 T-56 6-speed out of a WS6 Trans Am.

My issue here is, in the past when ive seen front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars with input shaft bearing issues the bearing is noisy and makes a grinding sound when the clutch is disengaged in gear or neutral. Once i push the clutch in, the bearing quiets down (as the input bearing stops spinning id assume). My question is, does this sound like a proper diagnosis of this issue or am i forgetting to look someplace else. The noise sounds right around the shifter so id assume thats right in line of where the input bearing is correct? Is this a common item to go out? I know in countless fwd setups, when the clutch is fairly abusive in engagement, it sometimes causes the bearing races to let go and you loose ball bearings from the input bearings on older transmissions, generating the sound. Are these the same way and do they wear out, since this is 7 years old, or is this something thats could be caused by something thats not in spec? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

The only mods are as follows.
All Stock, has all emissions removed
only running an Alternator, with Kaltech belt Tensioner
JTR Longtube Headers
Transmission:
Spec stage-3 clutch and flywheel
5.0 Pro Short Shifter

Last edited by RX666; 07-03-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like it might be a bad pilot bearing. These cars have bearings from the factory and it's obvious if they are damaged. Mine acted like that when it failed. It's right at the back of the engine block but the sound would probably be loudest at the shifter, as you've observed. Time to pull that transmission. I'd check the throwout bearing too while you're in there.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Launching!

I'm having a similar issue as described by original poster. To add to his original post is there anywhere that you can buy JUST the throwout bearing. I checked at SummitRacing and its almost 400 dollars. A premium replacement clutch kit in full is only 300.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a pilot bushing from a 69 camaro with the 4 speed muncie from your local auto parts store. Ditch the bearing and this bushing fits perfect. It should be around $5
Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TDavanzo
I'm having a similar issue as described by original poster. To add to his original post is there anywhere that you can buy JUST the throwout bearing. I checked at SummitRacing and its almost 400 dollars. A premium replacement clutch kit in full is only 300.
Post on the parts needed site. Lot's of people have extras. BTW you should be able to get a slave cylinder (which comes with the TO bearing) for around $100. NAPA carries them and also the pilot bearings.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevied916
get a pilot bushing from a 69 camaro with the 4 speed muncie from your local auto parts store. Ditch the bearing and this bushing fits perfect. It should be around $5
are there any disadvantages of using this setup before i do it?

Man i expected to have to pull it. i guess its time to pull it and put another block in there while im at it
Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

still wondering if i should just get the right part for the right car? or try this dudes bushing idea.

any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RX666
still wondering if i should just get the right part for the right car? or try this dudes bushing idea.

any input would be appreciated.
Either one will work fine

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Quick Reply: Imput bearing Issues?