General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Very wierd Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very wierd Turn Signal Problem

I Have a 1998 Z28 and I been having a problem with my turn signal lever not returning to the off position after turning like the spring is broke. But what is weird is that it works fine in the morning but when I leave work it doesnt work. Could the heat have something to do with why the turn signal lever doesnt shut off by itself in the afternoon? I know it sound wierd but I did recently have the spring replaced a month ago.

Has anyone heard of this? I figured if its the spring why would it work sometimes and not everytime lol?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

my turn signal doesn't return after i press the level to make a turn i manualy turn it to non signal, as for the other problem don't know
Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by koz28
I Have a 1998 Z28 and I been having a problem with my turn signal lever not returning to the off position after turning like the spring is broke. But what is weird is that it works fine in the morning but when I leave work it doesnt work. Could the heat have something to do with why the turn signal lever doesnt shut off by itself in the afternoon? I know it sound wierd but I did recently have the spring replaced a month ago.

Has anyone heard of this? I figured if its the spring why would it work sometimes and not everytime lol?
Sure. The mechanism has metal rubbing on plastic, which behave differently as they heat up. When the mechanism comes apart, it needs to be re-lubricated, especially when you take away lubed parts and add in dry ones - this could be the issue. Maybe you lost grease in the spring replacement and the mechanism is now binding up in the heat?

(After 70K, my springs were fine, but it needed a re-lube to keep the mechanism from hanging up.)

If someone else did the work, you should take it back. If you did the work, you might try lubricating the metal-on-plastic contact points. White Lithium Grease is the thing to use.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for your reply