Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much oil does the Moser 9" take?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Exclamation How much oil does the Moser 9" take?

Can't get the plug off the center section.....and I know not to fill to the top of the cap on the housing

So.....how much oil should I put in this puppy? Need info quick. She's all done otherwise.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

OK...answered my own Q. Searching "oil capacity" gave me nothing. Searching "capacity" answered the question......

3qts (approx )
Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a little over three quarts, probably 3-1/8 to 3-1/4. Bob
Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I run almost 4 qts in the ones I set up. No problems.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:20 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that anything over 3 qts in the Moser 9 tends to spit it out through the vent line. Get the plug out and make your self a L shape coat hanger tool with the base of the L for measuring no longer than 1/4 inch. Use this to set your fluid level to 1/8 inch below the level of the plug fill hole.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a problem with oil coming out of both axle bearings. I thought it was a bad Napa axle bearing, but now I am seeing some gear oil come out of the Moser bearing now.

I put 4 quarts of oil in the M9. When I pulled the left axle there seems to be about a 1/4 of an inch of oil in the axle tubes. This has to be too much oil.

Can I drain the oil out until there is almost no oil in the axle tubes? Just seems odd that oil started leaking when I put 4 quarts in...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
I am having a problem with oil coming out of both axle bearings. I thought it was a bad Napa axle bearing, but now I am seeing some gear oil come out of the Moser bearing now.

I put 4 quarts of oil in the M9. When I pulled the left axle there seems to be about a 1/4 of an inch of oil in the axle tubes. This has to be too much oil.

Can I drain the oil out until there is almost no oil in the axle tubes? Just seems odd that oil started leaking when I put 4 quarts in...

The oil fill is located on the left side of the housing on the Moser 9 inch rear end. It is relatively close to the torque arm bracket. Fill the rear up until the fluid starts to seep back out of the fill hole. It should only take a little over three quarts of gear lube.

If I were you I'd temporarily remove this fill plug. The M9 also has a plug in this same location, as it is in the third member. If you have too much in there, it will drain out until it reaches the correct level. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Last edited by Bob@BruteSpeed; 05-07-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: How much oil does the Moser 9" take?