Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

wiring help lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wiring help lights

im wiring up my tach in my 98 z and i dont know what wire off the radio will light the tach up when the headlights come on at night?

im not to good with wiring but i have everything working and i just dont know how to check the wires to see which one would be the lights wire to make my tach light at night. please anyone with any info on to where i can cut into the dash lights to make my tach light up at night please help, im lost on this last wire.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Teching In

On the schematic, the wire off the dimmer would go to the dash PCB for the red glow. You'd probably tap that circuit at the dimmer where it would also be somewhat near the tach?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Gee...a quick check of the Monsoon FAQ sticky would have shown you all the wires in the stereo harness. The brown wire in the black connector is on/off power controlled by the headlight circuit and the gray wire next to it is the variable power from the dimmer switch. So, if you just want the tach illumination to go on and off with the lights then use the brown wire. If you want the tach to dim with the dash lights, use the gray wire.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

thank you both for the help. i got everything wired up, tach works great. now i just have to mount it.