General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PLEASE HELP!! my car is acting strange (kind of lengthy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP!! my car is acting strange (kind of lengthy)

today on the way to work i was on the freeway and all of the sudden my SES light comes on. everything seemed fine, but i went ahead and took it to advance auto and let them run a diagnosis on it. it came up as a "misfire" code. the guy said either one of the plugs,wires, or coils have gone bad. so they went ahead and reset my light and all.

well i didnt think too much of it, because the car was driving ok and idling just as normal. i thought if it was spark related it would be missing and idling rough. so i was on my way home from work and decided to get in it just a little bit. well it just bogged like hell. i tried it again and samething.it just bogged.

i got home and did some revs in neutral and it seemed good, but maybe thats because there is no strain on the motor. can this really be bad coil pack or plug? can the computer tell if one of the plugs has gone bad? if you dont get in it, it seems to drive good. but as soon as you get just a little pass 1/4 throttle there is no power. how can you test a bad coil pack?
anyone else have this problem?????

my fuel pump has also gotten louder. dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. its a 99z28

Last edited by lusting4ls1; 07-03-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

do the easy stuff first, fuel filter may be clogged,+ throw a set of plugs and wires in it. wires will break down on a load, while a clogged filter can make your pump strain. if you dont have diagnostic equipment thats where i would start. good luck and happy 4th
Old 07-03-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

i will try that, anyone else seen these symptoms
Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if its been a wile from your last tune up do plugs and wires and fuel filter look at our sponsor sales they sell msd wires for about $65 i think, and free ngk spark plugs...plus go to parts store get a fuel filter about 10 bucks
Old 07-03-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is definetely on my agenda. i was going to try and just pick up everything locally so i could do it tomorow, but it seems like nobody has the wires. besides $64 shipped for the combo is really hard to pass up.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IROC403
do the easy stuff first, fuel filter may be clogged,+ throw a set of plugs and wires in it.

easy!?!? when was plugs and wires easy?!? its probably time to change your fuel filter...how many miles are on your car again? i know ws6store.com has a good deal on plugs and wires, thats what i got and love 'em
Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol, i didnt think the plugs were easy either. she just turned 148k!!!! guess its time to freshen her up a bit. lol

does anyone know the gap on the ngk tr55's? seems like a lot of different opinions on this.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by foreverzero
easy!?!? when was plugs and wires easy?!? its probably time to change your fuel filter...how many miles are on your car again? i know ws6store.com has a good deal on plugs and wires, thats what i got and love 'em
well if you have manifilds still, yeah #8 can really suck now that i think about it. I do that one from the bottom but most cars I work on have headders so its a few min. job. sometimes you can unbolt the air tubes to give your arms some more room in there.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Hey food for thought, when you bring your obd2 car to advance the scanners they use can view freeze frame data. That should point you in the general direction.