Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Unofficial KYB AGX Thread (again)

Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Unofficial KYB AGX Thread (again)

Let's try this again. Again, PLEASE let's not make this a "Koni is better thread"

Now that it seems KYB AGX is a VIABLE choice for 4th Gens, I bet folks would like a one-stop shop for opinions. I hope this thread can be beneficial and one way to make sure that happens is if you don't have any experience with the KYB, Again, PLEASE don't comment or add to the thread.

Here are a few things which would help in each post:

1. Install suggestions or issues (for example, adjustment **** in or out)
2. Stock or aftermarket springs (which type?)
3. Shock settings (really important)
4. Ride/handling
5. Price/Quality

I'm not asking for sugar coating: If you have real issues, post them. But constructive criticism or praise is preferred rather than, "they stink" or "they rock".

Here's my response to my own thread:

1. Install was a breeze, just use one of the many links regarding shock install. I used the following link: http://www.ls1howto.com/ I mounted mine with the **** pointing out and there's no problem adjusting them if you turn the wheel full lock.
2. Stock springs
3. Started with 4 in front, 5 in rear after reading a bunch of threads for reference.
4. Rides a LOT better than stock, almost like a totally different car, much more firm but not harsh. While handling is subjective, to me it handles a lot better even at the relatively soft settings. I do feel a little bit of the sharp rebound some people refer to but it's nothing I can't deal with for the better than stock ride/handling. IMO, my former V6 Camaro with the Y87 package handled and rode better than my stock Z28, but now now there's no comparison. Before, if I hit a off ramp to fast, it seemed like the inside wheel turned to mush, no more, just a level ride through the turn.
5. Paid about $350 total for the set, bought the front used and the rear new. I think I paid a good price, but I agree that the overall quality of the shock probably could be better, but it obviously would be at a price.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine for 320 NIB. Install was easy as pie. Installed them **** out. Immediately noticed the difference in ride quality. I used stock springs, had pro-kit on the car before the shocks, but decided against using it because of the rumors that AGX's can't handle lowered springs.

I have played with the settings a lil bit, my prefered settings are 5(front)/4(rear). I found that 6/5 and 7/6 were too harsh for SoCal freeways. They suck and have dips, potholes, griant cracks, etc. everywhere. I did notice that the car handles all of the above mentioned road blemishes 10x's better than before.

For the mountain roads, I prefer a higher setting. 6/5 works VERY well for good paced switchbacks and sweepers.

Adjustability is very easy, it takes all of 2-3 mins for all 4 being lazy. It also helps a lil that my car is not lowered anymore

Moral of the story, for the price, i really am impressed and like them for a DD. When i get into racing events, i might consider another option, but for now I am happy.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

I had a set on my car when I bought it.
At the time, the car was lowered on Sportlines.
Handling was absolutely awesome on the street.
Settings are really up to you, I left them near the middle or slightly firmer on the street.
I really do miss them sometimes.

Unfortunately, that configuration makes a horrible drag racing setup.
I moved to QA1 shocks and springs and brought it back to stock height.
Great for drag racing, not so good for handling on the street.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my AGXs last year (paid $330 NIB) and right as I left the shop I could tell there was no comparison between these shocks and the stock DeCarbons. When I brought the car to the shop I could feel all the little cracks and worn out patches in the concrete, but when I left the shop with the AGXs on, it felt like I was driving over a totally smooth surface. Even though I was on Intrax lowering springs at that time, the difference was dramatic. Since then I have switched back to stock springs, albeit cut, and I can tell the shocks do a much better job with the lower spring rate. I was running 7/7 with the intrax springs but with the stockers I am down 6/6. Although the front feels just fine, the rear end does seem kinda stiff over bumpy surfaces, but it tends to slam down hard if I throw the car into a dip. I am wondering if a softer setting in the rear will allow it soak up the bumps without losing too much compression damping to handle dips.

As for install issues, there really weren't any. The front shocks will fit fine with the **** facing towards or away from the wheel. It just depends on which way the mounting pin is angled. Make sure you note the orientation of the upper mount relative to the shock body - there's no adjusting it once you've decompressed the spring. As Sam Strano advised me, you don't need to use an impact wrench to tighten the top nut on the shock. It needs to be tightened to only 30 lbs/ft. Make sure you use antiseize on the threads, and cover up the exposed threads with a liberal coat of grease. That way the next time you pull the shock you won't find a rusted mess.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed mine about a year ago with Eibach springs. Install was very easy...IMO its pretty tough to screw up installing shocks/struts.

The handling is great, car handles like its on rails especially with the 315 nittos in the rear.

Quality for the price is pretty good in my opinion.

I think my car is just a little too stiff as bumps and railroad tracks will throw me through the t-tops. I am going to get some Strano springs in the future as I hear too much about the Eibachs being stiff, they also make alot of noise over bumps.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

I had some about 5 years ago. Fronts only with Hyperco springs. I am no suspension expert, but I could not tell any difference in any of the settings. They all felt the same and rode worse than the stock DeCarbons. I bought them when I was mostly drag racing it and saw no benefits and sold them later on. I wasn't sure if the shocks were junk or the springs were worn out. I sold them mounted on the springs. The buyer liked them though.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

I know this isnt a post about my experiences with them as i am in the market for shocks. i know i want strano springs, anyone have these with strano springs to tell me how they are?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

well i just bought some, got them brand new for 355 off ebay. (sorry if i outbidded ya)
ill post up what i think of them. my car is a 98 with 100K and the stock shocks and springs. ill be leaving the stock springs on.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad6as
well i just bought some, got them brand new for 355 off ebay. (sorry if i outbidded ya)
ill post up what i think of them. my car is a 98 with 100K and the stock shocks and springs. ill be leaving the stock springs on.
I was watching those even though I'm set. Glad to see someone on this forum got them. Good deal! Looking forward to your opinion.

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 07-06-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my 96z and my 99ta. I like them .Both my cars have mild drop. The 96z has hotchkis 1 inch drop springs. The 99 ta has eibach firehawk springs which were like 3/4 inch to 1 inch drop. I can't really remember current settings. Tweaked them some and pretty happy with them way they are now. I am not into drag racing much so if they don't work perfect for that no big deal.

I will likely be picking up a set for my 91 race talon project. I have tokico adjustables in my 97 talon.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Launching!

I put these on with the prokit and new bushings all around and I LOVE it. Sits awesome and handles great. Here's a pic of the stance.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

anyone have them on a 1" lowering spring, if so how long, and how is the ride quality?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm I just said I have them on my 99ta with 3/4 to 1 inch drop eibach slp firehawk springs and 1 inch drop hotchkis springs. Both have been on there for serveral years no ,zero problems. Can get good ride, or good handling whatever you want.
Fast to change settings.
Think they don't warranty them much past 1 inch drop though. Definitely would not use them with much more though guys run them with standard eibach pros quite a bit.
Pros I think are 1.25 or so drop?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Launching!

i haven't had any problems with them yet. put them in with a prokit, and installation was easy. I couldn't put them with the **** facing out for some reason, can't remember why now but i remember fighting with them and then just gave up and put them facing inward but still not bad to adjust.

i keep them on 2 for the front and 8 for the back, they were just too soft for anything below 8 for the rear and had problems with rubbing b/c i didn't have an adj PHB.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

caveat emptor:

Just an FYI that KYB will not warranty ANY shocks of theirs if they have knowledge that they've been installed with lowering springs and or springs with rates other than what was offered from the factory (they even made a situation out of ones that were installed as replacements for the Bilsteins on a Y2Y SS). I know because I and 12 others whom I eventually met fell victim to this. I also phoned KYB NA recently on this and the tech I spoke to confirmed this.

If your retailer will offer an exchange under these circumstances, then that may be the way to do it, however KYB NA themselves will only warranty them when installed with stock springs.

I personally think it's crap to do something like this, but it's their policy.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

My setup is Hotchkis 1" lowering springs with KYB AGX up front and 4th gen Koni SA shocks out back. I'll only speak on the KYB AGX and say that they are an okay shock. I had them installed 4 years ago and they've felt the same since day one. However, I feel that they have too much float on the highway and are a little rough on bumps. I've tried various settings and although there are 8 settings, they all feel similar. I'm currently set on 8, but as I mentioned I've been set on 1-7. My main concern is ride comfort since it's a daily driver. I'm not disappointed because they are relatively affordable.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I have been running AGX's for about a year now and i really like them. I have them at 7 front and 7 back with the prokit front and stock rear springs.

The car handles great and is a blast in the corners, and the ride is farily smooth. Stright line the car hooks desent on street tires, but im sure the rest of my suspension helps with that.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

mine should be here tomorrow, what way do you all have the ***** in the front pointing, ***** towards engine or wheel
Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad6as
mine should be here tomorrow, what way do you all have the ***** in the front pointing, ***** towards engine or wheel
Dang, I thought I posted a pic in this thread. Here it is:

The answer: It depends on which way your mounting bar is slanted. Some people say it's slanted so that the **** goes to the inside, others, to the outside like mine, as you can see. The mounting bar won't move so that's the way you're going to have to mount it. Either way, it's easy to adjust. I just turn my wheels full lock and I have enough room to rotate the ****.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my rear ones installed today i left them set at 4 ill try them out tomorrow and see how I like them im pretty sure I will like the way they ride since my decarbon's were done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unofficial KYB AGX Thread (again)