Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

First time Painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Painting

Im gonna start by doing the engine bay on my car since the engines out right now. I have most of the holes filled gonna fill a few more and sand it down. This is my first time ever buying paint or anything like that. Here are my questions.

1. What grit should I start with on the engine bay, then spray primer, then sand with what grit, spray paint,wetsand(grit?)clear, wetsand 1500.

Im trying to get this thing to look really nice. I have limited paint stores around here I have napa,oreillys,car quest.

What supplys should I purchase while im there. Im looking for a complete list of stuff I should grab to get this done and the sizes of everything. I have a hvlp gravity gun.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sand blasted my entire engine bay with handy sand just because it goes faster. technically it was ready to prime right then and there after a good cleanup. but just for the hell of it i took my 3" d/a with 180 over the whole thing. now its all ready for primer. basically i take a blow gun blow it off extremely good. wax and grease remover everything using one towel to wipe and another to dry(helps prevent solvent pop and fish eye. use a tac cloth right before i prime. then i use my sata primer gun and a pps cup for and prime away. im using spies and hekkers 1 coat wash primer for the bare metal followed by 3 coats of 5310 primer. then sand it down with 400 600 and 800(not neccisary) but for best finish. any burn through spots i use aerosal 1k primer and then base and clear. if you want to seal it you can finish it off with 400 or 600. basically heres a list of what i used.

3m 180 grit for 3" d/a
Spies and Hekker Wash Primer or a 1k primer if you dont have a lot of bare metal
Spies and Hekker 5310 Primer or any primer of your choice.
Sata Hvlp Gun with regulator 1.7 tip for primer 1.4 for sealer and 1.3 for base and clear.
3m PPS Liners and Lids
Tach Cloth
Silicone Remover Slow(spies and hekker)
mixing sticks
Filters
Snowballs(for paint gun to prevent water going through if your painting in a garage)'
masking paper
tape( i use 1 1/2" tape green tape by 3m)

im sure im missing a few things. personally i would do your homework and find a supply store that carrys spies and hekker, ppg, standox, or some higher end company if you want the best quality stuff. pm me if you have more questions