Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hmm... too much rasp/obnoxiousness

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy hmm... too much rasp/obnoxiousness

Ok i have a 2000 trans am ws6 m6,, mods are just boltons (headers/ls6 intake lid etc.) well i have an ORY with no cats and with the exhaust running straight through my GMMG exhaust it doesn't sound so good.. I have a whole lot of rasp and it really doesnt have a deep tone that it had before the headers. my question is, should i just go ahead and bite the bullet, sell my gmmg and get another catback? or should i put a bullet in the I pipe before the pipe goes over the axle? and how long of a bullet muffler would be needed to kill the rasp but not quiet it down so much that it's quieter than it was before the headers? i love the car being loud, but the sound/tone that it has is garbage in my opinion... i've listened to almost every video/sound file on ls1sounds.com by the way thanks in advance, all opinions appreciated

michael
Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

i had the same problem.switched to a magnaflow and car sounds great.it is a little quiet though.but barely any rasp.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've yet to hear a good sounding GMMG with an ORY. All exhausts sounds good at idle and a free rev.. its that driving under part throttle that all the rasp comes in. All LT header and Catted Y pipe setups I've heard sound good so I'd just add a couple Magnaflow spun cats to the Y pipe. The other options is to get a custom ORY Pipe with a Flowmaster Merge. the really smooth merge really cuts down on the Rasp.

You could also add 2 or more bullet mufflers to the exhaust. Keep this in mind... I recently weighed a Dynomax Bullet muffler 18" long 4" dia it weighed 10 lbs 6 oz. A high flow magnaflow Spun Cat weighs 2 lbs 5 oz. imo.. I'd rather Add a couple cats and gain 5 lbs and loose 3-5 hp than add a 20+ lbs of mufflers in hopes of saving those couple hp. Less weight helps on all aspects of a cars dynamics while hp only helps in acceleration and imo the tiny hp you save going with running extra mufflers is completely negated by the added weight.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Read my posts in the thread below you beginning at #9. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/945581-my-car-has-been-very-busy.html

The sound of ORY/GMMG is beyond horrible because the rasp is so extreme. It takes a lot to get rid of it. But the end result can be awesome sound.

If you don't want cats, you can go with a Hooker or Magnaflow. It's much cheaper than adding all the pieces necessary to making your GMMG work. And you'll come out ahead selling your GMMG. But I tried a Hooker for a while. It was much quieter, but some rasp still got through.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I've yet to hear a good sounding GMMG with an ORY.

Less weight helps on all aspects of a cars dynamics while hp only helps in acceleration and imo the tiny hp you save going with running extra mufflers is completely negated by the added weight.
I agree and I think I ended up with one of the heaviest exhaust systems in the LS1 world making my GMMG work with LT's. The GMMG isn't light to begin with. I didn't weigh the powerpack I have in my I, but that thing is heavy also, as are my resonator tips.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:57 AM
8 Second Club

it kinda depends on the ory. if it has a shitty merge then it will have rasp. you could try a custom y pipe with the flowmaster merge or the magnaflow merge. just my .02.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

i have hooker LT's and custom ORY with flomaster merge out to a
Borla catback and get little to no rasp
Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

try a borla xr-1 in the i pipe
Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by michaelxx16
Ok i have a 2000 trans am ws6 m6,, mods are just boltons (headers/ls6 intake lid etc.) well i have an ORY with no cats and with the exhaust running straight through my GMMG exhaust it doesn't sound so good.. I have a whole lot of rasp and it really doesnt have a deep tone that it had before the headers. my question is, should i just go ahead and bite the bullet, sell my gmmg and get another catback? or should i put a bullet in the I pipe before the pipe goes over the axle? and how long of a bullet muffler would be needed to kill the rasp but not quiet it down so much that it's quieter than it was before the headers? i love the car being loud, but the sound/tone that it has is garbage in my opinion... i've listened to almost every video/sound file on ls1sounds.com by the way thanks in advance, all opinions appreciated

michael
Try putting cats on it.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hooker long tubes, into a TSP ORY then into a cutout. If you put the car under any load it sounds like absolute ***! Let me know if you find a way to solve this problem.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I've yet to hear a good sounding GMMG with an ORY. All exhausts sounds good at idle and a free rev.. its that driving under part throttle that all the rasp comes in. All LT header and Catted Y pipe setups I've heard sound good so I'd just add a couple Magnaflow spun cats to the Y pipe. The other options is to get a custom ORY Pipe with a Flowmaster Merge. the really smooth merge really cuts down on the Rasp.

You could also add 2 or more bullet mufflers to the exhaust. Keep this in mind... I recently weighed a Dynomax Bullet muffler 18" long 4" dia it weighed 10 lbs 6 oz. A high flow magnaflow Spun Cat weighs 2 lbs 5 oz. imo.. I'd rather Add a couple cats and gain 5 lbs and loose 3-5 hp than add a 20+ lbs of mufflers in hopes of saving those couple hp. Less weight helps on all aspects of a cars dynamics while hp only helps in acceleration and imo the tiny hp you save going with running extra mufflers is completely negated by the added weight.
Exactly.

Basicly you need some sound absorbing material like found in Magnaflow, Hooker, etc. Just some dents or ridges or baffles will not do it. You need to knock some of the bark off of it. An LS1 doesnt need any help making rasp so you have to choose your muffler(s) wisely when running an ory.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:14 PM

Add cat's to the Y-pipe or get a magnaflow. I advise you to hear actual cars with the set up you want before you do it. Not just listen to files on line. There is a big difference in person.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Teching In

If you decide to give up the GMMG hit me up I want one of the chambered set ups like you wouldn't believe. I heard a magnaflow without converters at the carlisle event and it was sweet. a little too loud for my wifes car so we are keeping the cats and going with the magnaflow. I have a flowmaster on my 98 with some mac headers and high flow y pipe. If you want a flowmaster as a partial trade maybe we could work something out. Let me know.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Launching!

ok, thanks for all the responses so fast , i was looking at either a borla xr-1 but borla seems to be pretty high normally.. or a magnaflow bullet a buddy of mine has the same setup i'm looking at right now(with the bullet in the i pipe before the gmmg catback) and i'll be listening to it tonight. i try not to go by videos because most peoples videos cant capture most of the tones and to me most of the videos of idle's and people revving up different setups just sounds horrible because of that... or maybe its just my speakers

one of the main reasons i didnt want cats was A. cost and B. if you get a cheap one, its not going to flow worth a crap (from what i've read)

well i'll let you guys know what i end up doing..

and thanks alot again for the quick posts and all your info

michael

btw 98silverttz if i end up going the route of selling my gmmg i'll let you know
Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i've got lt's no cats an H true dual setup with LM1's before the axle and out the back . . . before i had the crossover pipe ut in it was really really raspy! but now it's not as bad, still some rasp but i love the sound of the car now
Old 07-05-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

x1000 on Flowmaster Merge!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Launching!

would an oval borla xr-1 in the i pipe before my GMMG kill my rasp? and does the oval xr-1 muffler quiet it down too much? I'm thinking an oval xr-1 would make it real deep but little on the quiet side.. but then again i've never heard one in person.. anyone with experience on the borla xr-1 oval muffler?

thanks,

michael