Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need advice. My painter sucks balls

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Need advice. My painter sucks *****

Ok heres the deal

I have a 2002 Z28, red and I bought a 4" cowl hood for it.

I took it about 1 1/2 months ago to paint the hood and front end. They did it, the color was waaaaaaay off. Did not match at all. The hood was also bubbling within 3 days. They also did not paint the underside worth a damn, which I did pay extra for. They told me to come back in two weeks and they will re-do it.

About 3 weeks ago, I took it back. They got the color to match, and they also (without my permission) painted both front quarter panels. Now the page below is what I got back after they worked on it a SECOND time

http://z28fabian.com/badpaint.html

This morning I was cleaning it for the first time since I got it back ( I went out of town for a while and have just been very busy. I noticed MORE stuff. I have tons of overspray.

My air dam is red

My wheels wells are red
I have dull spots all over the car where the paint hit it.

I have a big splat on my driver door that looks like a huge grease mark, it even has a finger print in it. It looks like grease but its actually paint.

And then what REALLY pissed me off, my black ZR1s are pink now.

I have more pics but those are the main ones.

SO my question, what can I legally do? I have already given them a chance to work and fix it and I got it back in worse condition, do you think I can even get my money back or do I have to let these dicks touch my car again.

All the overspray, the wheels, everything I can eventually undo myself but it sucks to take my car to get painted and then have to spend hours and hours fixing ****.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that sucks i dont know what you can legally but that just plain sucks
Old 07-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Out of curiousty how much did you pay to have the hood (top and bottom side) and the front bumper painted? Was this a body shop or someone that does it on the side?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

HOLY ****!!!!! take that back. man if that came out of my shop we would be taking care of all of that for free because it would have been our fault. i would tear that guy a new one and make them fix everything. looks like they didnt mask a ******* thing. by the way do not touch anything yourself until you have taken many pics showed the owner of the shop and contacted a lawyer or something to handle this. if you touch the stuff you start to lose proof so i would leave it as is until everythings handled.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn dude. I would document EVERYTHING. Make sure you have dates and times. Call them up and tell them whats going to happen. Then sue them for your money back plus the money it will take to fix everything. Get a couple of quotes from other shops for the total of how much it will cost for everything to get repainted and fixed properly. When you go to court make sure you have 3-4 quotes for the repair. If you want a high quality job, make sure you call high quality shops. Make sure you take your pictures as well. Try and get nice, higher resolution wide shots too, to show more area, this way the judge will know what he is looking at.

Stress how important your car is to you, the sentimental value etc. You should win easy.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd probibly go over there and tell them that they just bought me a new ******* paint job at another shop. As well as everything else that they fucked up.

Take pics (even more than what you already have) and threaten to take legal action against them. Get a lawyer, and you should be ready to kick some ***!

Everything they fucked up = $$$ in your pocket.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is about the worst paint job ive even seen come from a real shop, no way someone sober did that. get several quotes to fix it and get a lawyer, looks like a open and shut case
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah it was a shop and not some sidejob somewhere.

I will take a lot more pictures, better angles as suggested and see what I can do. And like I said before, this was the craftsmanship I got back after the SECOND time taking it to them.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

type up a letter stating everything that is wrong for them to fix, mail it to them by certified mail with return signature. give them a couple of weeks to call you back if you hear nothing from them then bring your car in stating all the problems you have with it. Bring a tape recorder. You have to give them a chance to make it right before you take them to court. Keep the photos you have as documentation. If they either refuse to fix it or screw it up again then you bring it somewhere else, get a quote from them on how much it will be to fix it, that is what you sue them for is the amount to repair it.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you dont have to let them touch the car again, you already went down that road and it got worse. been there, done that myself, luckly enough i didnt have to go as far as suing as it was just some mirrors i had painted so the guy just refunded me and we went our seperate ways. how much did they soak you to do the hood?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude!?!?!? wtf did this hack do, why didnt he take the bumper off, what a ****** hack!!!! is he an apprentice looks to me he is, he didnt even take the time to mask the car off, holy sweet babies!!!!

take it right back to this butcher, make him fix his hacked up shitty job
btw; there called fenders
Old 07-05-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

i work at a shop and do work on the side and nothing i touch would ever leave like that. im with everybody else on this one, you should do anything you can on your own and lawyer up if you have to.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bdyman
dude!?!?!? wtf did this hack do, why didnt he take the bumper off, what a ****** hack!!!! is he an apprentice looks to me he is, he didnt even take the time to mask the car off, holy sweet babies!!!!

take it right back to this butcher, make him fix his hacked up shitty job
btw; there called fenders
No, they're called fenders.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow another grammar ****, i think he got the point jeessshhh
Old 07-06-2008, 03:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bdyman
wow another grammar ****, i think he got the point jeessshhh
I just like correcting instances of grammar related irony.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Launching!

I can't believe they would let it go like that. It's places like this that give body shops a bad rep..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had a body shop do any work that I'm really happy with but that's the worst crap I've ever seen. Sorry bro.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Wow! um what should i say. Other than poor car. And new hood. Thats some shadt work. They wouldnt like me very much right now.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also.. Spread the word locally about how shitty their service was. Let everyone know what those *** faces did to your car..

I let everyone on local forms know about how a local wanna be body shop fucked with me. Several people heard about it and they refused to give them any of their business. Worked great. They treated me like crap, had horrible customer service, and were just *** holes. You should do it too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/902569-bad-experience-local-collision-paint-shop.html

Last edited by Camaro_94; 07-10-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What the....Like people have stated! I would take pictures and collect all the receipts. Call the company and talk to the manager/owner or bring the car in and show him what has happened. Hopefully you have some before and ater pictures. If he doesnt refund or offer to fix it i would press charges and get your money back and enough to make it right.

Hopefully it all works out!

Quick Reply: Need advice. My painter sucks balls