Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sfc

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sfc

give me some ideas for welding in my sfc's.

i plan on putting a jack underneath it just to put a little pressure on it to make a good weld. is that a good idea?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you grind off the power coat paint on the SFC and grind the surface on the actual frame for a good clean weld. Make sure you have two jacks on each end. I also welded a section of the middle to the frame. Didn't want it to be weak.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know if you're doing this on a lift, or on stands. However, try to have the suspension loaded as much as possible. Any chassis deformation present when the suspension is loaded, and static, should be present when installing the connectors.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulated
I don't know if you're doing this on a lift, or on stands. However, try to have the suspension loaded as much as possible. Any chassis deformation present when the suspension is loaded, and static, should be present when installing the connectors.

I agree.

You don't want to jack in any other deformation or stresses when you weld in the connectors.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

yea we have a lift in our camaro garage. so it will be a loaded suspension. i plan on just jacking light pressure on the SFC just to make sure its got pressure on it when i weld it in.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
yea we have a lift in our camaro garage. so it will be a loaded suspension. i plan on just jacking light pressure on the SFC just to make sure its got pressure on it when i weld it in.
I like that idea. Just enough to make sure it's tight fitting. If they are like my BMR's, they bolt on to the rear control arm housing so you wouldn't need it but it would have been nice to use your idea on the front part.
Also, don't forget the undercoating or paint to match to prevent rust.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

That's the way I did mine. You want just enough pressure to hold them in place while you tack them in. Then remove the jack to weld them.