LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rear main observation

Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear main observation

So somewhere around January 3rd, 2007 I had a new clutch put in, and supposedly a new rear main seal, teflon, a felpro piece. I have my car off the road now, making preparations for my motor swap, but one of the deciding reasons to put this motor in now, is the rear main seal was leaking so bad I would have several small puddles of oil on the ground, and anything above 3k rpms would result in a nasty oil burning off smell.

So what caused a new rear main seal to die out like that in a year and a halfs time????

Isn't looking through receipts painful? Cleaning the desk out today, makes you realize how much money you are tossing...... new setup needs a beefier clutch, and changing my exhaust setup again, wow just wow.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The "teflon" rear main seal needs to be installed "dry"....if not it will leak.

with that said I would just use the FelPro "rubber" seal, lube that sucker up on install.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I pull this motor and put the new one in. Guy that did the clutch probably didn't know this.

Its just frustrating, I didn't want to swap the motors til I had the clutch sitting here, but seeing as I can't drive the car at the limit like I like without possibly damaging something, I started pulling it apart.

Search this Thread