Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sherwin Williams paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sherwin Williams paint?

Can anyone here hook me up with some Sherwin Williams? I need a qt to do an engine bay Jumping Jack Flash. Someone showed it to me this week after we got to talking about how how I'm tryiing to do my engine bay and it looks like what I want. Anyone here uses a lot of SW and can help out me please pm me.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shrinkin' Willigan's that **** is junk!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cvalliere
Shrinkin' Willigan's that **** is junk!!!
Why does everyone do that to names to make fun of them? The above quoted one barely even makes any damn sense. I am so sick of seeing people think up lame *** insults for products. He didn't ask for opinions, he asked for some help picking up a quart of it.

Last edited by Funkster; 07-06-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

FWIW Sherwin Williams was not a great automotive paint about 6-7 years ago, but it has since been reformulated and has some great lines of paint. I am assuming the person that made a derogatory statement about the paint hasnt even shot it or if they have it hasnt been in the last decade. Out of the 3 Brands I shoot at my shop Sherwin is the one paint I can count on making a dead hit on matching any color it is also covers quickly.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

Thats what I had heard from a cutomer of mine that has been in the business for a while. I told him what I was looking to do and he was very helpful, the jjflash is in one of their upper line.

I have a ls7 som intake the new som daytona?.. anyway my car is black and I am repainting the engine bay while the engine is out. I wanted to reflect some of the new color into the black paint so thats how this all got started.

I came up with an idea and bought some HOK bc25 black and a dry deep orange pearl and was going to lay the pearl in a midcoat over the black hoping for an orange hue.
SO thats how the SW JJflash came into play. Person I was talking to suggested it as being close to what it sounded like I wanted.

So......... flash to this week ....I called HOK and told them what I wanted to do and what my plan was with the pearl and they didn think it would do what I wanted. So we came up with a new plan and here it is..LOL

Lay the bc 25 black down and use an apricot course flake in the mid coat.

So thats where I'm at. I have some kda2000 to prime and ko seal II, a da and some 320 paper.

Question.. I know I need to sand the primer before paint.. what grit for final prep? and wet or dry?

then after I spray the base black, I dont sand before the flake correct?

When do I sand and with what after the black?

Obvious first time solo here, been a long time since I did any body work. You know .. 16yrs old helper in a shop that your friends big brother owns so I did a few things but never mixed paint or primer, never shot a car with paint.. did plenty of priming..LOL

never wet sanded but saw it being done..hehehehe so.. this is the engine bay, good place to learn I figure before I try and do the whole car
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Once you prime and wait the specified dry time on the primer you will want to wet sand it with 400 grit. Spray your sealer and let it flash. Then spray your black base, let it flash 10-15 minutes. You now have 12 hours to spray your apricot flake before your window closes and you have to scuff the base, otherwise just spray your flake as if it is another basecoat to desired coverage. Wait 30 minutes and then spray your clearcoat. This is just the jist of the steps and if you get the product data sheets for the products you are using they will tell you exactly what you need to know.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Banned

I have them but they dont just say do this in step by step type directions so I wasnt sure about the sanding part. They do cover the flash time and all that stuff pretty good.
Any tip's on spraying the flake?
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Launching!

is it a course flake(something that you will need a flake buster gun for like bass boat flake) or something small like the flake in factory paint?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned

Not a huge flake they said tip was 1.3-1.8? I was going to use a 1.5 I think was one of the ones that came with my gun.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That should be fine. If you have a conventional type gun (cup on the bottom)and you use a lot of flake put a couple metal ball bearings the size of small grapes in the cup to keep the flakes suspended. If you have a gravity feed gun keep shaking the cup periodically.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

THx, bought a new startup set hvlp gravity feed, bought a conventional to but got razzed about it so I bought the DeVilbiss startingline two gun set.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Are you mixing the flake in clearcoat or a clear base(something like intercoat clear)
Old 07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

in a clear intercoat SG100 and then UC35 over the top of that
f19 flake
Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Spray the metal flake using a little higher pressure on the first coat, which I usually do thin but not dry. Lower the pressure a little before the next coat so the flake stays on the panel, which I lay down in a medium wet coat. Check the finish against the rest of the car to see if it matches and lightly dust coat it as necessary so the flake is uniform.

Quick Reply: Sherwin Williams paint?