Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

more... Sail Panel speaker questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default more... Sail Panel speaker questions...

I have searched and found tons of sail panel Q+A, but not these...

-For people who have put mid bass speakers in the sail panel locations, and driven them with an amp (say 50+ rms watts) what type of sealing or insulating did you do to the air chamber behind the speaker, inside the car's body? Does anyone know if that space is airtight, or close to it?

-How much depth do the sail panels have available for a speaker location? Can a 2 1/4" deep speaker fit without hitting the outer body panel?

-My car has a weld-in 6 point cage so I cannot remove the interior panels that cover the sail panels, so I am limited to putting some sound deadener behind it and then just bolting in the mid bass. Is it still worth it? Or should I use the hatch speaker locations and add some rear fill?

-Would it be easy to run new wires to the sail panel locations and then run them to an amp in the hatch area, without removing the interior panels around the sails? (I dont want to use factory wiring)
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
I have searched and found tons of sail panel Q+A, but not these...

-For people who have put mid bass speakers in the sail panel locations, and driven them with an amp (say 50+ rms watts) what type of sealing or insulating did you do to the air chamber behind the speaker, inside the car's body? Does anyone know if that space is airtight, or close to it?

-How much depth do the sail panels have available for a speaker location? Can a 2 1/4" deep speaker fit without hitting the outer body panel?

-My car has a weld-in 6 point cage so I cannot remove the interior panels that cover the sail panels, so I am limited to putting some sound deadener behind it and then just bolting in the mid bass. Is it still worth it? Or should I use the hatch speaker locations and add some rear fill?

-Would it be easy to run new wires to the sail panel locations and then run them to an amp in the hatch area, without removing the interior panels around the sails? (I dont want to use factory wiring)
I have a Wolfe Racecraft 6 point in my car as well. Just like you, I wanted options to mount speakers elsewhere in my 1995 Pontiac Formula 'Bird. Last month, I was surfing the web and typed SPEAKER PODS into the eBay search bar. What popped up, I would have never thought of in a million years. It was a picture of a boat with some wakeboard speaker pods, constructed of aluminum. Very nice and durable finish!

Well, I thought, that would be cool if the wakeboard bar was the same size of tubing on my Roll Bar. Guess what? Yep, it was a direct fit at 1 3/4" tubing. So, after looking around for a bit, I found these:

I thought, WOW! Now, I don't have to worry about fabricating panels, cutting interior parts, molding pieces together with fiberglass, etc, etc, etc.. If you have a roll bar with the tubing that is 1 3/4", 1 7/8", 2", 2 1/4", 2 3/8", 2 1/2", you can mount these speaker pods directly to your roll bar! They won't budge. VERY well constructed, using billet aluminum. Since my 6 point roll bar is powder coated Corvette Yellow, I plan on having my new speaker pods powder coated to match my roll bar! I went to Wolfe Racecraft where I purchased my roll bar and found some "generic" install pictures from what I assume to be a previous customer. If you can imagine your car with this roll bar, anywhere the roll bar tubing goes, your speaker pod can be mounted!

Let me know if this idea sparks any interest.. I still have the guys info, who sold me (2) 2 x 6 1/2" wakeboard speaker pods. I have a total of (4) 6 1/2's speakers mounted on my roll bar!