Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem??

The other day I took a friend of mine out for a spin and when I tried to shift from 2nd to 3rd at about 6800 rpms it was like the shifter hit a wall. It did not go into 3rd gear but stopped in neutral. I thought I just pushed the shifter over too far and went between 3rd and 5th, but when I turned around and went through the gears again shifting at about 3000-3500 rpms it did it again. The tranny is suppost to have been rebuilt 10K miles ago, but I know how that goes and I have no papers at all. But ever since that happened if I try to shift hard into 3rd gear it will go between 3rd and 5th and seem to get stuck there. I have to pull back on the shifter kind of hard then it will go right into 3rd or 5th. Its kind of strange and I really don't like it, but the tranny is super smooth all other times, no grinding gears, no popping out of gear, no other hard shifts.

Any ideas??? Thanks in advance even though I'm sure the answer is going to be rebuild
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

bump for some answers?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possible your clutch isn't fully disengaging, bleed that sucker and vac out your old fluid so it's all fresh stuff.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crainholio
Possible your clutch isn't fully disengaging, bleed that sucker and vac out your old fluid so it's all fresh stuff.
Clutch not being bleed is making my shifter get stuck between 3rd and 5th gear? It goes into every gear fine, but if I'm really pounding on it sometimes the shifter seems to go into the "inbetween part" of 3rd and 5th. Sorry I just don't see how bleeding would help anything.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Clutch not being bleed is making my shifter get stuck between 3rd and 5th gear? It goes into every gear fine, but if I'm really pounding on it sometimes the shifter seems to go into the "inbetween part" of 3rd and 5th. Sorry I just don't see how bleeding would help anything.
If the clutch isn't fully disengaging the input shaft, the trans will be hard to shift. The condition may not be evident except at high revs, whereas the trans will shift fine at lower revs.

Try this: with the car parked on a flat surface, put the shifter into 1st gear and hold the clutch pedal down. Foot off the brake pedal, parking brake not set, nothing keeping the car from rolling. Bring the engine to ~6000rpm and see if the car rolls. If so, the clutch isn't fully disengaging.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I have done that and the car doesn't move. I guess I can bleed the clutch a few more times, it didn't do it for the first few hundred miles but started when I gave a friend of mine a ride and it seemed to block me out of 3rd gear at about 6500 rpms. I didn't grind the gears or try to force the trans into gear or anything like that.

I guess I'll bleed the clutch again since the car is down anyway. Thanks for the replies
Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

It's worth trying.

If that doesn't cure it, then it's possible you bent the 3-4 fork during that first miss.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah thats what I'm thinking, but it was't like I was smashing through the gears. I know how to drive a manual and when I felt that I just held the clutch down and let the stick come back into neutral then it went right into 3rd. Seems like something internal isn't right, but it doesn't grind into any gears or pop out of any gear so I'm just gonna drive it nice until this winter then pull it out and rebuild it myself......well mabye if I feel up to it