LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 is hard to start - but once started runs OK

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question LT4 is hard to start - but once started runs OK

Out of the blue - and of course at a car show my 1997 LT4 SS, has become very hard to start when cold . . . never tried starting again when warm.

While cranking it tries to start but seams to flood itself . . .

It has what sounded like a back fire through the intake . . .

If you floor the gas peddle while cranking it does start . . . very rough but then smoothes out . . . misfiring

Drives fine . . but the idle seams a tad rough

Is the Opti going?

The ignition module?

I feel it is electric related, vrs fuel.

But thanks for any suggestions upfront.

The car has thrown no codes. Other info car has extremely low miles.

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 07-07-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done any trouble shooting? Did it start acting up right after you washed the car for the show? Does it have any upper rpm break-up? Un-plug the maf to put it in SD and see if it improves the start. Is it cold start that it acts up or every start? If you have a way to scan it i would look to see if the IAC count is going crazy. If it is a true LT4 then you dont have EGR to stick open. Check the plugs wires to be sure they are not burt or falling apart. I know I answered your question with a bunch of questions, but I need more info to help you out.

Last edited by 96slow6; 07-08-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Out of the blue - and of course at a car show my 1997 LT4 SS, has become very hard to start when cold . . . never tried starting again when warm.

While cranking it tries to start but seams to flood itself . . .

It has what sounded like a back fire through the intake . . .

If you floor the gas peddle while cranking it does start . . . very rough but then smoothes out . . . misfiring

Drives fine . . but the idle seams a tad rough

Is the Opti going?

The ignition module?

I feel it is electric related, vrs fuel.

But thanks for any suggestions upfront.

The car has thrown no codes. Other info car has extremely low miles.
I had just about the exact same problem, but it still was hard to start when warm also after sitting more then 10 minutes, i installed a new fuel pump, i could never hear mine prime, now it primes good, i can go out after 3-4 days & it hits on the 1st. crank, before i had to crank it 3-4 times & once it hit, it would miss & pop, sometimes it would cough, but once running it ran great, i'm not saying thats your problem, but at least change the fuel filter & see if the pump is primeing.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Check your fuel pressure, you should have 40-47 lbs. If not then its your fuel pump.Also change fuel filter. Otherwise it could be your opti.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96slow6
Have you done any trouble shooting?
No I have not, did not know where to start honestly . .

Did it start acting up right after you washed the car for the show?
No. It began acting up on the evening of the first day . . came out of the trailer just fine, was asked to be in a photo shoot, so the car was started and moved , numerous times without issue. . .

Does it have any upper rpm break-up?
No car runs and drives fine, there is a little detonation at higher RPM's which I equate to old crappy gas . .

Un-plug the maf to put it in SD and see if it improves the start.
I will give that a try . . .

Is it cold start that it acts up or every start?
Cold start. Have not tried starting it from hot.

If you have a way to scan it i would look to see if the IAC count is going crazy.
This weekend a buddy may came over with a scanner.

If it is a true LT4 then you dont have EGR to stick open.
Should be, it's one of the 100 LT4's that SLP made out of the anniversary cars.

Check the plugs wires to be sure they are not burt or falling apart.
Will do!

I know I answered your question with a bunch of questions, but I need more info to help you out.
No problem, they have all been very helpful.

The car confused me last night, I got it out of the trailer and it started perfectly. . . . two times . . . . ?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LM97Z
I had just about the exact same problem, but it still was hard to start when warm also after sitting more then 10 minutes, i installed a new fuel pump, i could never hear mine prime, now it primes good, i can go out after 3-4 days & it hits on the 1st. crank, before i had to crank it 3-4 times & once it hit, it would miss & pop, sometimes it would cough, but once running it ran great, i'm not saying thats your problem, but at least change the fuel filter & see if the pump is primeing.

Dumping the old gas, and a new fuel filter is top on my list to do. I can hear the fuel pump run just fine.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Well hopefully since it startd a couple good times for you your problem was a fluke. If starts act up again I would look into geting a good tune up done. Your problem does not sound like an opti or ICM poblem. If it acts up again I would try resetting the IAC for a hopefully simple fix. If that does not help let me know. I will dig in deeper for you.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

On Saturday got out the old gasoline, and replaced it with 2 gallons of fresh Shell 93 octane V-Power. Started and ran 4 times just perfectly. So fingers crossed that was the issue. I only got a chance to drive it around the block, but it does feel more responsive too.

The only thing I have noticed since the car started to act up is the temperature gauge does not appear to read correctly . . . so I do not know if that may be related . . .

Quick Reply: LT4 is hard to start - but once started runs OK