Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod RST twin disk clutch (my review)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mcleod RST twin disk clutch (my review)

car: 2001 camaro z28
power: 430rwhp, 404 rwtq
full suspension w/dana s60 rearend

Parts bought:
Mcleod RST twin disk
Mcleod steel flywheel
Adaptor ring included (used for stock size dia. flywheel and smaller pressure plate mounting)

part not bought:
adj master cylinder as its not needed.

as mentioned above the flywheel is stock diameter, however the pressure plate for the RST and RXT is a smaller then stock dia.

I went with the RST over the RXT because of needing the clutch fast. The RXT was a long wait at the time. Biggest difference between the RST and RXT is the RXT has ceremic in the friction plates to handle more heat. However I have not smelled, seen or felt any heat issues with the RST.
Mcleod did state that if I had issues with the RST for racing they would let me swap the RST friction plates for the RXT friction plates. So far this is not needed.

Review:
Install - just as easy as any other clutch. Dual friction disk along with floater plate are already spaced properly from Mcleod.

Street manners - the clutch pedal feels lighter then stock. First time driving with this clutch, I felt I was going to put the pedal through the floor. I thought something was wrong with my hydraulics because of how light the pedal was. However this is common with twin disk setups. The clutch will allow for feathering in driving situation such as backing your car into a garage or heavy traffic areas. The clutch will also allow for high revs and fast shifting. During the break in period and after, there was no issues with chattering or change in the clutch pedal.

Race Manners - 16 track passes in one day with 4 hot lap passes within 4 mins, launching between 3500rpm and 5000rpm on a MT ET with 1.5 60' foot times without any clutch issues, burning smell, sticking or slipping, proves to me this is one hell of a great clutch!!!!

For less then $1000.00 its a great setup!
Attached Thumbnails Mcleod RST twin disk clutch (my review)-mcleod-clutch.jpg  

Last edited by ibanez7; 07-08-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it drives like stock? I'm looking at this clutch. Hoping for 700rwhp/800rwtq to the wheels after methanol kit. Anyone else have any feedback?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ibanez7
car: 2001 camaro z28
power: 430rwhp, 404 rwtq
full suspension w/dana s60 rearend

Parts bought:
Mcleod RST twin disk
Mcleod steel flywheel
Adaptor ring included (used for stock size dia. flywheel and smaller pressure plate mounting)

part not bought:
adj master cylinder as its not needed.

as mentioned above the flywheel is stock diameter, however the pressure plate for the RST and RXT is a smaller then stock dia.

I went with the RST over the RXT because of needing the clutch fast. The RXT was a long wait at the time. Biggest difference between the RST and RXT is the RXT has ceremic in the friction plates to handle more heat. However I have not smelled, seen or felt any heat issues with the RST.
Mcleod did state that if I had issues with the RST for racing they would let me swap the RST friction plates for the RXT friction plates. So far this is not needed.

Review:
Install - just as easy as any other clutch. Dual friction disk along with floater plate are already spaced properly from Mcleod.

Street manners - the clutch pedal feels lighter then stock. First time driving with this clutch, I felt I was going to put the pedal through the floor. I thought something was wrong with my hydraulics because of how light the pedal was. However this is common with twin disk setups. The clutch will allow for feathering in driving situation such as backing your car into a garage or heavy traffic areas. The clutch will also allow for high revs and fast shifting. During the break in period and after, there was no issues with chattering or change in the clutch pedal.

Race Manners - 16 track passes in one day with 4 hot lap passes within 4 mins, launching between 3500rpm and 5000rpm on a MT ET with 1.5 60' foot times without any clutch issues, burning smell, sticking or slipping, proves to me this is one hell of a great clutch!!!!

For less then $1000.00 its a great setup!
Glad to hear your happy with our product. We can't keep them in stock, just as soon as raw components come in the door they're gone!!! I hope you continue to enjoy your new clutch.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Where did you get it from for that price?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We've done a few RXT's and they are simply working awesome.Best street driven twin clutch we've ever used.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ibanez7
the clutch pedal feels lighter then stock. First time driving with this clutch, I felt I was going to put the pedal through the floor. I thought something was wrong with my hydraulics because of how light the pedal was. However this is common with twin disk setups.
My mcleod twin is hard as hell. Not complaining, I just thought it was the nature of the clutch
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

what kind of power can it hold?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

The rep on here says they are conservatively rated at 800 and 1000 flywheel hp.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really want some info on this clutch! Can someone with more than 700rwhp come in here and tell me if this thing works? I don't want to be changing clutches again in 5000 miles.

The few things I have read about it says this clutch is great. It appears that it will fit my needs and it is backed by SpeedINC which should really speak for itself since they are known for high hp street setups but if this clutch is so great, why are there only 3 post when you do a search on it?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up - does it slip more than the old ST for better 60-foot times? That's the only complaint I have with my ST on my LT1 - it shocks the hell out of the rear unless you learn to eliminate the air between the discs while at the line, which is an exercise in itself.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStolen
The few things I have read about it says this clutch is great. It appears that it will fit my needs and it is backed by SpeedINC which should really speak for itself since they are known for high hp street setups but if this clutch is so great, why are there only 3 post when you do a search on it?
It's brand new, and considering it's $1k and a weekend to install, it's understandable that the reviews will only now start to trickle in. Not everyone who buys them is on this site.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

These twins were released in the beginning of or early 2007. They're newer but not that new.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

jim moran, tuner at Speed Inc, is running 1000rwhp TT c6 zo6 with the Mcleod RXT. The z06 cut a low 10s 1/4mile run at 150+mph on a street tire.

I talked to him last sunday at speed incs open house, he said the rxt is great

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...speed-inc.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...speed-inc.html

Last edited by ibanez7; 05-04-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Great write up - does it slip more than the old ST for better 60-foot times? That's the only complaint I have with my ST on my LT1 - it shocks the hell out of the rear unless you learn to eliminate the air between the discs while at the line, which is an exercise in itself.
I'm running a Strange Dana s60, so I dont slip the clutch.

on ET streets, I was dumping the RST between 5500 and 7000k rpms.
The clutch bites instantly, no slipping and sends you down the track.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The RST and RXT where out for a few months when I ordered mine, as Billy @ mcleod stated they cant keep them on the shelves. I know when I ordered mine, the clutch was just starting to take off, and the LSX owners where the slower adapters to try the new clutch, however there was still a wait for my order.

At the time when I ordered mine, i could barely find reviews anywhere, now its still hard to find reviews. Typically on forums if I dont see a review for a popular part, I chalk it up as a good thing. Most people only post complaints for reviews.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Where did you get it from for that price?

Bought mine from Speed Inc. the $1000 was just the ballpark number, it was not much more then that...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

plus no master saves money
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

bumpin' old thread - any more reviews?

I recently bought a 98 ws6 and the clutch is apparently a "monster" clutch and its hard to depress. Dyno'd at 380rwhp. Thinking RST might have the streetability I'm looking for!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
9 Second Club

I have the RST and make 572rwhp with a 125 shot. I would buy it again for sure, the pedal is really light and engages very smooth. I'll be going with the RXT next though since it can handle heat and power better.
Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
bumpin' old thread - any more reviews?

I recently bought a 98 ws6 and the clutch is apparently a "monster" clutch and its hard to depress. Dyno'd at 380rwhp. Thinking RST might have the streetability I'm looking for!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by scidav87
I have the RST and make 572rwhp with a 125 shot. I would buy it again for sure, the pedal is really light and engages very smooth. I'll be going with the RXT next though since it can handle heat and power better.
I have the rst and with 452 rwhp i slipped mine last week.only 2000 miles on mine. Love the clutch but disappointed that it slipped.
Probably try the rxt if i have to change it

Quick Reply: Mcleod RST twin disk clutch (my review)