General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

95 trans am lt1 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 trans am lt1 water pump

where do i buy water pump and air filter elbow pipe for my trans am? i am looking for cheapest place but don't want total junk. i have big coolant leak from water pump area. does that mean that waterpump it gone? also my air intake elbow is torn up by PO and i need a new one. i got no money now and this is really bad timing so I'll have to do all the work myself and need cheap parts. advice please.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call around or check the sponsors for the best price, or maybe get a rebuilt one. I went to shoeboxe's PN list and the pump is GM PN 12527741. Plugged it into gmpartsdirect and dealer list was just over $400!

http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to know if the pump is bad, get under the car and check the bottom of the pump. you will see a hole. we call it a weep hole. see if its discolored or dripping. i know when mine went, it dumped all the coolant in the publix parking lot in the matter of minutes. sucked. honestly, if you dont have much cash but are pretty handy, just get an auto part store lifetime gaurantee pump. if it goes bad again, they will give you a new one if you still have the receipt. i used to pull a water pump from my old lt1 by myself in 30 minutes. not bad once you have the routine down.

check ebay for the intake elbow.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Teching In

looks like it's leaking from the top of the pump and not the little hole on the bottom. does that indicate bad pump still?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Teching In

If you havent already, check all of your hoses to see if they have sprung a leak. Had it happen more than once when I had my 97. Was going to suggest replacing your optispark if you replace your water pump, cause its damn near guaranteed that it will go out soon after. Mine was the day after I put the new water pump on lol.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the pump for my LT1 for $129 with a lifetime warranty from a small local auto parts store. Dont let it leak or it will take out your optispark! You think the waterpump sucks wait till you have to do an optispark! Check your thermostat gasket and the weep hole to be sure...as for the elbow look in the for sale section and post up in the wanted section.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Afflicted
If you havent already, check all of your hoses to see if they have sprung a leak. Had it happen more than once when I had my 97. Was going to suggest replacing your optispark if you replace your water pump, cause its damn near guaranteed that it will go out soon after. Mine was the day after I put the new water pump on lol.
done with the hoses. no leaking there. if optispark is no good my car would have hard time starting up, right? there is no problems in that area yet.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I got the pump for my LT1 for $129 with a lifetime warranty from a small local auto parts store. Dont let it leak or it will take out your optispark! You think the waterpump sucks wait till you have to do an optispark! Check your thermostat gasket and the weep hole to be sure...as for the elbow look in the for sale section and post up in the wanted section.
that is exactly what puzzles me. it is not dripping from weep hole but from the top part of the water pump somewhere. i guess I'll check thermostat gasket and see if it's that.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Teching In

just another question before i dig in. what else should i change while i am there? maybe gaskets or something else? what should i buy besides for the pump (got it for 55 bucks yesterday because they didn't have anything else in stock)

Quick Reply: 95 trans am lt1 water pump