Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

BAH experts in here!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BAH experts in here!!

Ok, I was wondering what I had to do to get this resolved. I am a single Marine Sgt. with a child. I have been trying to get BAH since January and I keep getting the run around. I can't move off base w/o it. After bills and child support, I make less than $700 a paycheck. I have all of my documentation in order, but they keep saying I am ineligible. How so? A fellow Marine in my platoon has a son in Arkansas, has never been married, and is getting BAH w/dependents. My daughter lives an hour away in northern Va., and I don't qualify?! Please help!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

You do qualify for dependant rate BAH. You need to talk to somebody else. As long as you have a dependant you qualify for base housing or BAH. Are you sure you have all your records straight at the MPF? If you didnt update your information after your daughter was born that could cause issues.

I'm in the Air force so out system is probably different but all we have to do is get a form signed by the 1st Sgt and then take it to the finance office. Two weeks later you should get your BAH.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah all my information is up to date. Im just thinking they don't wanna come up off all that money for back pay. My battalion approved it all the way up to the Colonel. Then it went to mainside to get finalized, and some civilian **** disapproved, so the base SgtMaj didn't even look at my package. He just saw a check in the box where it said disapprove and he just concurred automatically. My Sgtmaj is pissed b/c they keep giving me the run around, saying my orders dont state that I'll be here long enough even though Im here til 2010! I'm on ADSW orders( b/c I got out in 2003 and came back in January) til Sept. and then Im back on active duty in Oct. Makes no sense at all to me.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You definitely rate the bah w/dependents, that is a bunch of crap. If your SgtMaj. already knows about it, I am sure that you whole chain of command does... in that case I would talk to my SNCOIC, and tell him that you would like to go talk to the C.O. about your situation with him/her. That is the only way that I see this getting resolved. If he is not able to help you, the route would be to request mast to a higher level.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are a single soldier with a child in your custody you will need your custody order, which must state full custody, in order to be no questions asked BAH with dependents qualified. There is absolutely no reason that you are not getting full BAH. Either people dont know their jobs or they are deliberately trying to **** with people, either one is unacceptable.

I went through the same thing when I was a single parent.

Oh and at this point you are getting jacked around enough and this is a serious situation since there is a childs welfare involved. I would call the local Congressman and the base Inspector General, especially since the base SGM concurred. That lowest level bullshit goes out the window when it can effect the child. Ive made a few congressman contacts in the past, the situations get instantly resolved once they are involved.

Last edited by brad8266; 07-08-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned

there is always a request mast too. good luck.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Yep gonna request mast today!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your child registered in DEERS? Does he/she have an ID card?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck man. I hate seeing and hearing about stupid paperwork crap like this. Bueracracy shouldn't affect a child.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

i was in the same boat as you a few years back. do you have joint coustody? if so when do you have the child? if you have her and she stays with you then you'll get the single rate if you're not married and the bah diff for the child. your s-1 should be able to look it up and fix it for you. the only way you'll get the full thing is if you are married. but should be getting bah diff. YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING SAYING THAT YOU HAVE JOINT CUSTODY. sorry to hear that you're getting the run around man. if you're on ADSW orders you should automaticly get it because you should have a house hold back home, that in it self gives you the right to have it. i'm assuming all this that you're a reservist? all our IRR Marines that got re-called is getting the full amount because they have a house payment or family to support. your SgtMaj should of been all over this one the min he saw the paper work back on his desk.

Quick Reply: BAH experts in here!!