LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some help/Advice (Knock Sensor, Head Gaskets etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help/Advice (Knock Sensor, Head Gaskets etc)

Ok basically I bought a 95 Trans Am yesterday and I am putting my Camaro back to completely stock and putting all the LT4 items on the TA.

However I want to make sure I handle a few things and I have a few questions.

1) I have seen some talk about the Knock Sensor addition for OBDI systems and I want to make sure I have that, what are part numbers, wiring and anything else I need? (And if anyone is selling everything I am looking to buy it)

2) I obviously need to get Head Gaskets and I doubt Auto Zone is the place to go... going through the Vender's here is my next step but does anyone have any recommendations on brand or who they like from experience? (Again if you have a set you did not use let me know I will buy them)

3) I will be doing my first Cam install so any advice would be great.

4) I forgot I want to make sure these heads are LT4 heads as claimed how can I check that? I assume by part number, what should I be looking for?

5) Same Gasket Question for our Intake Manifold, pref, anything I should know etc.

6) The gaskets I was told behind the Opti that leak i would like to replace those on both cars most likely. Which ones are they in part numbers and where from?

7) Anyone have an extra Oil Leveling Sensor around? Mine is leaking out the end on the Camaro need to swap that out.

8) What causes a Temp gauge not to work? I am going to change out the sensor at the Water Pump itself but The needle does not even move when the Key is turned on... not while driving nothing. I do not want to just throw money at it and obviously seems the most common is the sensor at the pump but has anyone else run into other common causes?

Basically I am swapping my LT4 IM, My Holley TB (I am still trying to trade my 58mm for a 52mm if anyone wants too), my heads once confirmed or if they are fake just the 1.6 Rocker Arms etc. I also am doing my exhaust, selling my BBK Headers and putting on the Pace Setters, swapping on my Hooker Exhaust w/Dump, checking to see if he really used an MSD Opti as claimed, and all the other little items. Then actually having a car that can be tuned locally going in for that...

That's it for now, I am still dealing with getting the LS1 Brakes off the Camaro and on to the Trans Am and then i have the rear end brakes to do and then the list above... lol.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Launching!

IMO # 2 and 5 fel-pro

# 4 a simple google sarch will solve that

and
# 8 there is another coolant sensor on the passenger side head. it has either gone bad or the exhaust has burnt the wires ive had both happen i just made the wire longer and ran it wher it cleared the header.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

I will check on that second sensor thanks for letting me know.

I found these head gaskets so far:
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...32a1c121171350

Anyone used them?
Old 07-09-2008, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Cross;9702770]Ok basically I bought a 95 Trans Am yesterday and I am putting my Camaro back to completely stock and putting all the LT4 items on the TA.

However I want to make sure I handle a few things and I have a few questions.

1) I have seen some talk about the Knock Sensor addition for OBDI systems and I want to make sure I have that, what are part numbers, wiring and anything else I need? (And if anyone is selling everything I am looking to buy it)

I assume your talking about an LT4 Knock Module. You can do a search on google or ebay and find one no prob, figure $40-50. Part# is 16214681

2) I obviously need to get Head Gaskets and I doubt Auto Zone is the place to go... going through the Vender's here is my next step but does anyone have any recommendations on brand or who they like from experience? (Again if you have a set you did not use let me know I will buy them).

I suggest maybe running a thinner than stock gasket to bump the compression up a tad. I would recommend the Victor Reinz 5898 .026" compressed thickness gasket. I paid <$40 for the two head gaskets at a place called cncmotorsports.com

3) I will be doing my first Cam install so any advice would be great.

This site will be your best friend:http://shbox.com/page/index.html

Cam Removal:http://shbox.com/ci/cam_removal.html

Cam Installation:http://shbox.com/ci/cam_install.html

4) I forgot I want to make sure these heads are LT4 heads as claimed how can I check that? I assume by part number, what should I be looking for?

Casting number for LT4 heads like in the LT4 package is 12363287, and should be 12555332 for actualt LT4 heads from an LT4 Vette.

5) Same Gasket Question for our Intake Manifold, pref, anything I should know etc.

Part #12550630 for one off of an actual LT4. There is a second part# for them for the ones in the LT4 Kit but I do not have.

6) The gaskets I was told behind the Opti that leak i would like to replace those on both cars most likely. Which ones are they in part numbers and where from?

Those gaskets are attached to the timing chain cover and there are 3 seals on there total. Your going to want an optispark seal (part#12552428), crank seal (part# 10128316) and a waterpump drive seal (part#12553792).
Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the help. I am going to buy those head gaskets today most likely.

I decided however to just swap the motors to save myself hassle and put one of the K-Members (The Camaro's) back on so I can roll it around and keep things somewhat clean.

I def would not mind feeding you a few steaks for some of your wisdom here while I do all this lol.
I will order those gaskets as well for the IM thanks for all the part and casting numbers that is just what I was looking for.

On the Knock Sensor wasn't there a write up? I must not be doing the right search key words but I can not find it.

I made a thread asking another question if you do not mind popping in and giving me your thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Need some help/Advice (Knock Sensor, Head Gaskets etc)