Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Autometer sport comp II electric fuel pressure gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Autometer sport comp II electric fuel pressure gauge question

I know this may not be the right place to post this, but I did a search and no luck, and whenever I post in the electronics section I've gotten no replies in the past. Plus, I figure that most of the folks in here run an electric fuel pressure gauge in the cabin of their FI cars.

I wired my gauges up last night and turned on the lights to check the backlighting. The boost gauge lighting comes on fine, however the fuel pressure gauge doesn't. Currently I'm unable to turn the key to the 'on' position (new build, starting it this weekend, no fuel in the tank yet).
Is there something in this gauge that prevents the lighting to come on until it receives a signal from the sender? It's wired into the acc spot on the fuse box (both are, sharing the same hot lead for illumination) and the same ground. I figured for lighting it wouldnt be that big of a deal. Anyway, I tested the leads with a circuit tester and they are showing a complete circuit when I connect the pins on the harness to the probes of the tester. When I connect the gauge directly to the batt with 2 leads the gauge needle just pops up a tad but still no lighting. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you tapped into the lighting wire, for when you turn your lights on it should come on like your boost gauge did. the lighting wires are separate from the other signal wires to the FP gauges
if your boost gauge is working and your tapping from the same place, try to make sure there isnt a short in your wire connections (mine has had a few from my connections) or make sure the bulb is working my hitting it with +12V
so lights should come on independent of the reading of the gauges.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool thanks for the reply. I mis-typed. The hot leads for both the boost lighting and fuel pressure lighting are spliced together to a single hot source - the 'acc' empty post on the fusepanel, and ground at the same place down under a bolt behind the kickpanel under the hood release lever.

BUT I just looked on autometers website. Apparently I'm an idiot Instructions are your friend...who needs em? haha
Theres a red (hot) that goes to the 12V+ source, AS WELL AS a white that goes to a 12V+ source that I'm pretty sure I either didn't connect or connected incorrectly. So yeah, that would help to connect it up to a light source Durrr wow I feel dumb. I'm sure that'll fix it!

Last edited by Photochop; 07-09-2008 at 08:36 AM.