Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment needed after ball joint replacement in front

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment needed after ball joint replacement in front

Is an alignment needed after replacing the front balljoint? Just replaced it due to a torn boot, the balljoint itself was fine.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

I wouldn't, waste of money.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it was my car i would get it done.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't bother with an alignment unless you are having other problems aside from your balljoint such as shaking, pulling, etc. despite what others say. The reason that I say this is that the balljoint does not upset the suspension geometry that your current alignment is set for. Now if you were go to out and buy lowering springs while you did the ball joints, then I would tell you to get an alignment. Also, it is my belief that when you replace things such as balljoints, you always want to replace the same component on the opposite side of the car. When I stripped the upper ball joint spindle bolt on the drivers side when I was doing my suspension swap, I went ahead and replaced the passenger side as well. It helps keep things even if you get my drift. Well, thats enough of my rant...

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 07-10-2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies! Any other opinions?

Since the upper ball joint locates the upper portion of the spindle, I thought it would have a bigger impact on alignment.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely you need to get the alignment checked. Whenever you're taking anything apart on the front control arms, and alignment check should be in order. Most shops don't charge just to check it. If they say it's out, ask to see the specs on a print out that show where the specs are currently, and where the computer says they should be.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

You changed it because of a torn boot, then no. All normal people are going to tell you no, but people who make money suggesting stuff get done will say do it, even if they make nothing on this.
Yea shops do alignment checks for free, and it's always going to be off because you're not allowed in the work area to see what they're doing.
Read the link below. My alignment was off and the first place I took it to didn't do **** but charge me for it. Second place was the same chain store 6 miles away, I didn't tell them I just got it aligned you know why? Because the guy would have said it's a little off and they'll fix it.
I didn't say **** and they came to me telling me my alignment was WAY!!!!! out of whack (exact words too) then I took out the spec sheet from their shop down the road and yes the guy was quite pissed at me for not showing him that first because he had no defense at that point.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...539&highlight=
Old 07-12-2008, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upper or lower? Upper, may not need it. Lower, def. need it if the lower control arm came off the car.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Launching!

I just replaced the upper ball joint with a Moog ball joint from Autozone.

The car seems to track straight afterwards.

Quick Reply: Alignment needed after ball joint replacement in front