Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fly Cutting Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Cutting Pistons

How do you fly cut the pistons... i know there is a tool you use... where do you get it / rent it. Any tips? Clearance is close, and I dont wanna fug up my new heads.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Fly Cutting Pistons

It all comes down to $
I would rather pull the motor and have it done properly (with the pistons out of the motor)
Have the piece of mind that it's done right and no contamination of metal filings to totaly stuff things up.

Old 08-21-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm pretty sure Isky sells/rents a tool. Try looking around on their website. I also think there was post awhile back that had the part # so a search may come up with somthing.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

How about I set the timing for ya lol
Old 08-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Launching!

The tool can be rented from Isky for about $30. I'm pretty sure thats how much it is. You pay full price for it and then they credit you the difference when you return it. If you buy the cutter and guide together they run $130. Its not that hard to do. You just have to take your time and measure everything twice. It took me a while to cut the first one but after doing a few, I breezed right through the rest. Total about 3-4 hours to do all 8.
Caution: Do not use a drill to turn the cutter. I used a 1/4" drive socket wrench and it only took about (50) 1/4 turn cranks to cut a .050" eyebrow in the piston. The cutter is carbide and cuts the piston like its butter. The shavings are pretty big and can be sucked out easily with a shopvac.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:57 AM
Launching!

How about I set the timing for ya lol
If you want to set it back to 0*... be my guest. But if they were hitting at 2*... makes me wonder how close it was at 0*.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

At least you don't have to wonder where to cut the reliefs
Old 08-22-2003, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

We have done about 30 of these fly cuts like Mike Burger did his. Feel free to call LG Motorsports if you have any questions or want the part number for the tool.

Thanks

Lou G LG Motorsports 972-272-7753
Old 08-22-2003, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

We have done about 30 of these fly cuts like Mike Burger did his. Feel free to call LG Motorsports if you have any questions or want the part number for the tool.

Thanks

Lou G LG Motorsports 972-272-7753
Damn...THAT'S Customer Service!!!!........I guess that would be non - Customer Service!!! Lou's a smart man.
joel(Bink)
Old 08-23-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

DO NOT use the Isky tool without the special alignment cylander head.

The special head is machined to remove the valve seats so proper alignment of the cutting tool can occur.

The cutting tool is mounted in the head and lightly bolted to the block...the tool is then revolved by hand or with a drill.

This can be done easily in the car.

The head can be rented from a sponsor for cheap...

Do a search to find more information on renting the special head and cutting tool...

lots of descussion here about six months ago...
Old 08-23-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting post Robert. Can you tell more about the need for removal of the valve seat as I'm missing something here. Won't the guide align the cutter or has the tool got a bigger diameter fixture to the head to make it more stable? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Interesting post Robert. Can you tell more about the need for removal of the valve seat as I'm missing something here. Won't the guide align the cutter or has the tool got a bigger diameter fixture to the head to make it more stable? Thanks.
The tool has a large (thicker) head/face than a valve and I don't think you could bring the piston all the way to top head center (where you need it) with the heads on. With the valve seat milled out the cutter can recess into the head and give clearance.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Launching!

The tool has a large (thicker) head/face than a valve and I don't think you could bring the piston all the way to top head center (where you need it) with the heads on. With the valve seat milled out the cutter can recess into the head and give clearance.
Chris, you are exactly right... But, you CAN use one of your old heads if you want and it WILL work fine. I did used my old head to cut my reliefs but you just have to go slow. The head will not sit perfectly flush on the block because the cutter is thicker than the original valve. The intake side of the head will sit up a bit and the cutter will actually be resting on the piston when it is at TDC. the exhaust side will sit on the head and the dowels in the block will keep everything lined up. DO NOT lower the piston in the bore to make the head sit flush, this will change the location of the relief on the piston. I actually liked having the weight of the head pushing the cutter on the piston, it kept constant pressure on the cutter and it went real smooth.

NOTE: I DO NOT agree with using a drill to turn the cutter. They cut really fast and if you go too deep you're screwed! Do it by hand, it only takes a few minutes to make the actual cut, the rest of the time is measuring and doublechecking everything.

Another option is to take one of your heads to a machine shop and have the seats removed. It shouldn't cost much.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for the explanation Chris. Thanks BergerMan also.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use a drill, you will cut the relief so fast it will amaze you.

It it by hand, and check the length of the cutter vs the guide often

Quick Reply: Fly Cutting Pistons