Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

dumb turbo question distance vs spool time

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dumb turbo question distance vs spool time

This might be a dumb question but figured here i'd get teh best info from you FI pros...

My question revolves around the distance of the turbo location from the exhaust and what effect it has on spool time.... I'm doing all the research now and trying to educate myself on where I want to locate my turbo when i'm ready to go that route and what i'll need to do with the structure of the car to fit a big single up front.

My original idea was a 94mm single turbo.... I am probably going to do A2W intercooler as well.... I like the look of the setup that LMR has typically done with Wormboy's old setup and a few others with the turbo inlet facing out toward the front of the car centerline mounted. But then I thought about the amount of piping between the exhaust headers and turbo itself. That is the length I am worried about. Being the turbo runs on heat I thought all that lost heat thru radiated heat would be lost power or increased spool time on the turbo due to not being able to get it up to speed/boost quickly.

So simplifying things I'm wondering do I cut the front crossmember that goes side to side like most everyone does and mount the turbo centerline, inlet to the drivers side with the headers swinging around to meet the bottom of the turbo or do I mount the turbo like Fereday's old setup for the "look"..... Also I know that the radiator placement comes into play as well cause AFAIK when I saw wormie's car in person I could have sworn he had to offset the tiny radiator off to the side.... looked like a royal PITA.....

forgive me in advance for being stupid....
Old 07-12-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to me thats a good question. I would like to know too. what i think is that it dont matter cause you see the big time guys running the trubo all the way out the front but thats my 2cents
Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most front mount setups no matter how complex or "simple" they might look will act the same very similarly as far as spool time goes. Those "crossover" pipes going to the turbo will almost always have to be 2.5" to keep up velocity and keep the heat in (making spool time quick), but spool time will depend mostly on what turbo you are using and the rest of the setup (engine size, transmition, rear gears, even tire size, i can go on and on...).
*If all factors are equal or close to the same as far as setup goes, a front mount setup will spool great with a properly sized turbocharger. You mentioned a 94mm turbo-THAT will not spool that great on a stock-ish motor (346-364 LS1 LS2) It will be laggy and big. Just make sure the pipes going to the turbo are 2.5", ceramic coated and heat wrapped for best results....then crank it up and have fun. Simple as that. What motor/tranmistion are you planing on running on this setup??? either way wish you good luck on your plans!!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
...Being the turbo runs on heat..
That's very astute of you.

Is there a way you can estimate the difference in the length of piping either way?

Mike
Old 07-12-2008, 04:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

The one thing to remember is to keep things simple. There is no need to over engineer these things. There is no need for heat wrap and coatings. If there is room to fit the three inch cross over then that would be better. With the many different a/r ratios you won't have anyproblems spooling a 94 mm either way. Hell we had a 114 on our car and it spooled just fine. I know a couple people thta ran a 114 on a 360 cid engine and with the proper tune down low it spooled pretty quick as well.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:38 AM
9 Second Club

thanks for the replies....

motor will be a 383..... looking into the FI94X turbo.... Think it's a 1.0 A/R