best shocks for under $500??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default best shocks for under $500??

prokit front springs
stock rear springs

whats the best I am gonna do for $500 or less?

ride quality is first, then handling second.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the KYB AGX shocks for less than $500
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as valving is concerned, KYB's are the best. But... recently some people here have uncovered that fact that they won't warranty their shocks if lowering springs are used, only stock springs. So I guess that's a risk you will have to choose to take.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

I have read the kyb's are quite harsh. Not the case????
Old 07-10-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackbird
Depends on what you consider harsh. They're fine with me and others.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/948522-unofficial-kyb-agx-thread-again.html

The good thing about this thread is that the posters ACTUALLY have experience with the KYB AGX, both positive and negative so you can get a good opinion.

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 07-10-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I remember correctly, a few people on this forum said that KYB stood for "keeps you bouncing".......
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

If you can stand waiting an extra year or whatever how long it takes, I urge you to save up for some Konis. Konis will handle better, have better ride quality for daily driving, and will stand behind their warranty even when using lowering springs which KYB's will not do.

People will get upset and take my recommendation personally, but I don't care. I urge people to consider Koni shocks more than ever. Seems like a ton of people end up spending more money anyway when buying cheaper shocks because they get Konis anyway.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

ya I know I probably should.

why did Bilstein have to go and screw up their shocks? I was perfectly happy with those but now 100,000 miles later they are just way too tired.

does anybody know if the magic version of Blisteins that worked so well will ever be an option again?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you mean Sam's revalves? I guess you'd have to ask Sam if he's ever planning on revalving again assuming the Bilsteins become available again for the 4th gens.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

i dont think mine were even revalves.

Years ago, many now, been 10 now since I got mine, the bilsteins were a great match for our cars with the prokit springs, but in recent years apparantly they screwed with what worked and they became a not so good choice, then as you mention not available at all.

i may just have to suck it up and pay the koni premium. only want to do it once for the next 100,000 miles
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

kyb are not bad at all, and no im not just saying that i do own them and im very happy with them. yes we know theyre odviously not going to be as good as konis but you did say best shocks for under 500$. and those would be the kyb's.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya I know I probably should.

why did Bilstein have to go and screw up their shocks? I was perfectly happy with those but now 100,000 miles later they are just way too tired.

does anybody know if the magic version of Blisteins that worked so well will ever be an option again?

Did you check with SLP? I got mine from them, although it was a few years ago, and I'm using them with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Although I didn't use the Pro-Kit springs with any shocks other than the OE DeCarbons, the SLP Bilsteins were EONS better riding and handling than them.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put Bilsteins on the back with Hotchkiss springs and
found it too harsh for my liking, Gabriel Hi-Jackers (air
shocks) went on there to correct for a drag-*** look
from the drop and I liked the ride a bit better and no
evident handling downside, and now I am back to the
stock springs minus donut and keep the Gabriels at
zero pressure except for the track where I air up the
right side to about 10PSI. Can't get too much cheaper
than that for rear shocks, even if they suck for you
it's $100 out of pocket for the pair. But I think they
have pretty good damping. Which might be expected,
what with being meant for cargo and higher effective
spring rate.

Yes, I am a dirty infidel.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

SLP doesn't have any either. I sell SLP too.... and they are stuck in the same backorder as HD's. The issue is you can't get front shocks at all, HD, SLP or otherwise right not. That might change in a week, or 4 month, or a year. Hard to say as it's been so long.

FWIW, SLP's are meant for SLP's springs, and were never really that sporting anyway. Better than DeCarbon's? Yes... but at times I think a shock off a screen door would be too.

I know that you all don't like to hear this, and bear in mind this is coming from someone who can sell you AGX's right now, Tokico's most any time, Edelbrocks, etc. Shocks are akin to tires. If you ask "what's the best tire for $500" you get all kinds of different answers, too... I don't think there is much question that you get a much better tire in a BFG than you get from PepBoys. Shocks are the same way.

Shocks are complicated, they are not simple. They are not cheap (or shouldn't be) when you consider the fact they use a lot of steel, oil and rubber to build. Cheap shocks don't ride as well overall, deal with impact harshness as well, or give you the same kind of solid foundation as shocks that are engineered the way they should be.

Anyone here ever wonder why European cars feel so much better than Japanese or American cars in their driving dynamics? It's the shock valving. They don't beat you silly but are firm and controlled. They also don't make you sea-sick and let the car wander and bob all over like American cars tend to.

Think about it.... And think about the fact that everytime you read about cars with performance aspirations they have things like more damping added over the base car. Corvettes, BMW's, Porsche's.

Frankly the reason you see so many who have Koni's raving about Koni's is because they now understand what the car can be like. Anyone not having experienced truly good dampers can't understand, and just assume the car is good for nothing but going straight, or that it can't get much better than say stock.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

"best" shock under $500 for a car with Pro-kits? Realizing your springs aren't ideal for ride being your top priority, I'm going to say AGX's. Why? Well because you can play with the damping and use what you like best. Any shock you can't adjust leaves you with no options. Further, most shocks aren't intended to be much more than stock replacements.

You could put on a set of Tokico's, but again, no adjustment and with time the damping will soften (as happens to all shocks), but you can't adjust them to firm it back up. And I can prove to you this is what wrecks ride, and does happen. Any of you that have had you cars a long time on the same shocks: Notice how the ride quality has gotten worse with time? That's because the shocks can no longer damp the springs and the body motions well enough. The ride doesn't get better with old spongy shocks, it gets worse.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Any of you that have had you cars a long time on the same shocks: Notice how the ride quality has gotten worse with time? That's because the shocks can no longer damp the springs and the body motions well enough. The ride doesn't get better with old spongy shocks, it gets worse.
Right, that's what I have happening now, the bilsteins are way too tired and the ride sucks more and more each day.

Thanks all for the input, looks like I really have 2 choices.

I think I may lean toward AGX as the $300 I save could buy the upgraded valve springs I really need.

Those too are beat after so many miles, and as a result put me down about 75 rwhp from where I should be.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I might say that while I don't love the AGX's, I understand the reasoning and cannot fault it at all in your case. Seems like you considered the choices rationally, and understand that AGX's might need to be upgraded at some point.

That's all I can ask for--a well reasoned decision

Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

amen brother, i traded my bilsteins for konis and never looked back
Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Launching!

I went from stock, to bilsteins, to Koni, to bilsteins (had to feel the difference again), to Koni again... Will never buy anything but Konis again for any of my cars....

Quick Reply: best shocks for under $500??