Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

blowby with sts...poss pcv issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blowby with sts...poss pcv issue?

hey, friend of mine has a stock 95 t/a LT1 with an sts rearmount turbo on it...only mods are

sts @ 4psi
42lb injectors
dynotuned

prob is he is getting blowby out of his oil fill cap(oil return for turbo), and out of the small breather on the pass side VC(where the pcv was previously).

One person said it is a ring, but i cant see how he'd waste a ring on a stock lt1 w/ 78k orig miles that is all stock...esp with 3-4psi, and being tuned with 42lb injectors. no misfiring, no smoke out the tailpipe, etc.

I think it is something pcv related, i did a search and came up with a bunch of people having sts pcv problems. under boost it shoots oil out of the oil fill/return cap because it isnt sealed correctly(was like that when he got the kit). how can we go about testing the pcv system? and is there anyway a mis-adjusted valve could cause the combustion gases coming out of the breather/oil cap? (his dads idea) thanks for all the help
James
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The stock STS PCV system is grossly inadequate for anything. There is probably nothing wrong with the rings.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a vented catch can to run the pcv, Also tap the return oil line in to the pan or find a metal oil cap and re plumb it. I got rid of the quick disconect and hard lined it.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you know your stuff but why would you vent the PCV catch can? Doesn't that kind of eliminate the point of tapping the valley cover or valve cover since you're now pulling in air from the atmosphere from the catch can breather instead?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

venting the can relives crank pressure, There is no vac on it unless you tap the source ie turbo, intake,exhaust. Yes it dose eliminate tapping the valley cover, Not the valve covers because thats where the pcv lines are. The way I see it is like this, When your boostin the pressure has to go somewhere to be relived. Thats where a vented catch can comes into play the can with a breather will give you better venting then rerouting back into the motor. Now you can tap the valley and use both valve covers but depending on how mutch boost your running that may be a little over kill. As far as a vac source to pull the oil fumes out the engine bay it a matter of choice of the user.

Quick Reply: blowby with sts...poss pcv issue?