Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install

Hey guys I need some realistic advice on the installation of my newly acquired pacesetter longtubes and ory. I have little to no experience with working on cars with the exception of a few bolt ons on various cars here and there, but if it's not going to be the end of the world I would like to attempt to install these myself. I have a couple of friends who are willing to help but I don't want to start anything and run into issues after it's too late. The exhaust shop in town that I would go to estimates $250-500 for labour depending on fitment, but of course who wouldn't like to keep that cash in their pockets? It's not just the headers though, there's also o2 sims to run and removing the cats.

Honestly I have no problem paying the guy to do it if I go that route, especially because he's done headers on LT1's and LS1's before. Also the car isn't my daily driver so it doesn't necessarily have to be done in a certain time frame.
Like I said I just want some realistic views here.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly bro, do it yourself. Its not hard. If your doing it in the garage without a lift then its kind of a pain. If you have access to a lift then it doesnt take too long and it isnt to hard. The biggest pain is working the passenger side, especially the number 8 plug and header bolts. Just take your time and since you have help dont sweat it. I did both of mine by myself in my home garage. You will learn alot doing it yourself. PM me if you run into any snags, I would be more than happy to walk you through it.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Do it yourself i did mine and it was my first mod learned alot.
since its not your DD take your time on it it will all be worth it in the end
Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Man I was in your exact boat. I had a buddy who had done it before so i got him to help. But it wasn't hard. If you don't have a lift..IMO you might need 2 jacks, reason being i had to put the motor on one and lift like an inch for the pass. side header to fit. It's really not hard and def. worth the experience. Just take your time, you'll be fine, any questions the guys on here can help!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

do it yourself

check out page 11 (i think) of the website in my signature. i did a very comprehensive writeup on how to install headers.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1999Transamman
Honestly bro, do it yourself. Its not hard. If your doing it in the garage without a lift then its kind of a pain. If you have access to a lift then it doesnt take too long and it isnt to hard. The biggest pain is working the passenger side, especially the number 8 plug and header bolts. Just take your time and since you have help dont sweat it. I did both of mine by myself in my home garage. You will learn alot doing it yourself. PM me if you run into any snags, I would be more than happy to walk you through it.
dont listen to this guy, its a lot of squeezing your arms/friends arm haha in small places. The hardest header to install is the passenger one, first off the egr doesnt line up with the hose, might have been a faulty one for me. Do it yourelf but dont go into this project thinking it's easy, have a buddy help you. It should take 5 to 6 hours to complete
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

I would DEFINATELY have someone help that has done this on a 4th GEN before. It will save alot of pain.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Back up onto ramps with the back tires, throw two 5-ton jack stands at maxed height in the front, everything will slide right out, and re-install will be a breeze.

INSTALL POLY MOUNTS during header install. I regret not putting them in, and will be ripping everything back out next time I have a free Saturday.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KC21386
Back up onto ramps with the back tires, throw two 5-ton jack stands at maxed height in the front, everything will slide right out, and re-install will be a breeze.

INSTALL POLY MOUNTS during header install. I regret not putting them in, and will be ripping everything back out next time I have a free Saturday.
what he said! rhino ramps for me on the back and a beefy jack in the front made things fairly easy. One thing I did not do and Im kicking myself for it is not changing polu motor mounts. Now i have the almighty y pipe knock.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

hey man, i just installed my headers over the weekend. I am not really very knowledgeable when it comes to working on cars, and to be honest it really wasnt too difficult at all. You can definately do it yourself and save some money and gain the experience, its totally worth it.