Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

The best car alarm system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best car alarm system?

I need some info I looking for the best security system for my car. We have been having a bad theft problem around my area so I need a good one. Looking for something with a 2-way pager, motion sensor, shock sensor...etc. Or I might just get a LoJack if the price is right. Any info is appreciated.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd say do both: LoJack and aftermarket alarm.
I have LoJack and stock alarm in mine.

There have been a few recent treads discussing decent aftermarket 2-way pager alarms. One had a 1-mile range on the pager.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Teching In

any dei alarm (Viper, Clifford, Python....) that has SST will have a mile range on it. Don't let the brand fool you as long as it's made by DEI and it says SST on it, it is a quality alarm and you can buy it online between $190-$250 depending on where you look. Viper 5900, Python 990 or clifford RSX50.5 are some models that can start your search. Good luck
Old 07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Can't go wrong with the Viper 5900 - it's a 2way with 1mile range and remote start. The 791 is the previous one with quarter mile range. I first had the 791 first and then moved onto the 5900 - only had to switch the brain. Had it for about 5 years - no problems - did the install myself - but I knew what I was doing. Note - in the last 5 years - I had to buy 2 additional remotes - seems like they only last for a year and a half to two years - they can only take so much abuse I guess - nothing big - but they're about $100 each time to replace.

You probably heard this - but the installation is very important - this is what makes the alarm. Here are some items to watch for:

- Make sure the installer crimps all connections and solders all those that are too small to crimp - nothing worst than having connections come loose after afew years of vibrations from your car - many fbodys shake or vibrate. NO T-TAPS and crossing wires with bare hands and then taping it.

- Have wires properly run thur-out car, tie down neatly and of correct length. Nothing worst than bringing your car in for service and the alarm wires are in the way! Mechanical will just rip them or best case - push and move them around

- Think about a second battery for the alarm - one that's not directly connected to the battery up front in the engine bay. IE if someone disconnects the front battery - the alarm still sound

- Try to install the alarm brain somewhere other than the driver's panel

- Try to use at least 2 shock sensors - one at the front and one at the rear - helps reduce false positives. IE - you dont have to turn the sensitive so high to get coverage in the back

- Hook up many sirens - they're like $10 each - 1 is not enough - should also think about the adding the one with the backup battery in it - works when the power wires have been cut - but watch out for these ones - they die after afew years - the internal battery fails. Remember a good location that cant easily be removed. IE inside front bumper, inside dash, little spot under cd changer - sky is the limit - hook both outside and inside if you have car audio equipment

- Make sure you check and config your options from the alarm brain. IE turn alarm ringing from 30 sec to 60 or 120 sec

Do a search and you'll find lots of ideals - I remember someone hooked their car to only start if you pressed and held the window button while cranking. (I think it was the window or could have been the door lock - cant remember exactly)

Also note - could be expensive - back then when I did this - I paid about $400 for the alarm brain - and another$400 for all the other stuff like additional sensors and sirens, correct coloured wires with correct gauge, wire loom, relays (used about 11 of them), and small misc parts. This didn't include installation.

Hope this helps

Last edited by johnny402; 07-10-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Stay AWAY from any DEI alarm. The company I work for deals with auto electronics and the DEI alarms are the most common, hence easiest to hack into and disarm. Alot have them, so the thieves learn how to get around those first. Get something less common, but high end. To bad Alpine stopped making alarms, theirs was the best.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Teching In

SSnistr - I hear what you're saying - but DEI has components that are pretty reliable out of the box. If you install the alarm properly and with some thought - it's not as trivial to break or hack. It can be set up to not allow your car to start at all unless the alarm is working - but this causes problems when the remote breaks, fuses blow or battery die. Installation plays a very big part in quality - some stores usually rush a job into as few hours as possible. Doing my install took me almost 22 hours with all the bells and whistles. Also - an alarm only adds some protection - can't stop someone from towing or damaging the car.

As for other alarms - there are afew that have better and quicker range when doing the 2way remote thing - but I've seen people replace the brain units 2-3 times before getting one that works.

I will agree that Alpine had some good stuff - too bad they stopped.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I lived close to you johnny402 you sound like you know what your talking about. So get one says DEI and SST. How about a motion sensor just for extra precaution. I work with a guy that has the Viper 5900 and his sucks *** we were leaving and I pushed, hit, pulled, shucked, jumped on his car and nothing. I dont know why or who installed it but nothing happened. My girlfriend has the one below the 5900 and hers seems to work fine. I look more into it later what a good website to look on? I call LOJack today that is expensive stuff 995.00 plus state taxes but free install.

Last edited by 00badfnta; 07-10-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Teching In

00badfnta - do a google search - lots of stuff out there - one guy had the whole installation on his website with pictures. There's also a guy on here (Mike L.) who use to run the fbodyaudio website - that site had all the info to do the alarm yourself and many different alarms too! As for your friends car, could be many things - but most likely - the shock sensor is probably not secured down to something - might be hanging - this usually happens over time when going over bumpy roads. One way of doing the shock sensor is to tie strap it down to something solid on the car - something metal maybe - so that the vibrations of someone touching / hitting the car pass thur it easily. Example - securing a shock sensor to a hanging wire harness is not good - takes alot of force from the body of the car to get there. Also shock sensors are not that great for a swinging motion - they try to prevent false positives from lots of wind on windy days - you can use either a tilt sensor (so the alarm tiggers if someone is jacking your car - trying to take your wheels) or you can even go old school with a mercury switch (this has liquid mercury in it - when it reaches a certain angle, the mecury close the circuit and triggers the alarm). Might cause some problems when parking on hills - but thats a different story.

As for brand - anything reputable is good - see what's available around you locally.

hope this helps
Old 07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

even the Best alarm can be the Biggest piece of **** if not installed correctly.

SO it all depends on the installation, and integration of components.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the factory alarm.. I want an aftermarket one too.. but really, what's the point? Can't they code grab your alarm if they sit an wait for a time you come to your car and unlock it? I was thinking of just getting lojack. I know some Viper alarms have the GPS recovery.. But if they disconnect your alarm, isn't that not going to work? lol.. bah!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

an alarm is a theft deterrent.

With the way tow trucks can have your car gone in 11 seconds, it really does not matter.

But, a majority of the times for an alarm is for the aspect of burglary. Stereo, ipod, wheels, accessories, vandalism and so forth.

But it all depends on the Installer that installed whatever you have to make it not so simple to bypass and disarm. They key is to make it Look factory, and work like it is supposed to.

i personally have 2 way systems on my vehicles, lcd remote that will notify me if the alarm is going off. I do not use pin switches, as they corrode and rust. I use mercury switches which are small and can be hidden in factory looms depending on the car. also you have a horn on your vehicle, use it to honk as a backup to your siren in case they cut your siren.

Gps based recovery systems are nice, you can know where your car is at 24/7. you can tie them into texting you if your alarm goes off wherever you are, along with if the door opens. But its only as good as how it was installed.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked with my distributor and carry several alarm systems from Viper, Autopage, and Scytek. I know one of the 2-way Scytek models, visionguard 8000 ($299.00), actually has a LCD key fob that will not only give you the type of alarm but it has a full color nightvision camera mounted in the vehicle and will send a picture to the pager of what is going on in the vehicle. It will store up to 10 images.
If you have a model number for Viper, Autopage, or whatever in mind let me know and I can see what kind of price I can get for you.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
With the way tow trucks can have your car gone in 11 seconds
That is why I park nose-in between other vehicles with the steering wheel at full lock. It makes it more difficult to tow away.

[OC] [OC] [OC]
[OC] \MC\ [OC]

[OC] = Other Car
\MC\ = My Car parked nose-in with Steering Wheel at Full Lock

To tow it away in that situation, they'd have to put the front wheels on dollies and tow from the rear (or drag it onto a flatbed). That's more hassle than its worth for a thief trying to make a quick getaway.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
LCD key fob that will not only give you the type of alarm but it has a full color nightvision camera mounted in the vehicle and will send a picture to the pager of what is going on in the vehicle. It will store up to 10 images.
Wow that is crazy!

VIP what do you mean by Full Lock? Sorry, not familiar
Edit: Ive looked into the Python 990, and have a few reputable shops to install it around (screw circuit city/best buy) but the price on some sites are 500+ which for me is too much, but then on "cybershop" I see it for 219, exact same thing as the other sites just a drasticly less price, does that sound right?

Last edited by Dimitri-; 07-12-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

Yea, Thats called DEI pricing. Also some of these companies are coming out with Gimmicks to sell product, Yea thats great and all, But its not needed. And most of these so called companies have inferior product.

Dei is a Good brand. There product Devolpment team works hard buying up other companies for what they have devolped and use in there own systems.

Dei Multi brands products, Thats how they can sell to different dealers in restricted zones, a majority of the product is the same all under different names.

I personally like and sell Auto Page ( not owned by Dei ) Autostart ( a Canadian company that dei bought for there 2 way technology) Clifford/Avital ( which Dei also own, But i liked them before they were owned by Dei).

And for a Good install, Shop around and talk to some installers, Find someone that is passionate about installing, And enjoys what they do, and takes pride in his work. They will be the ones that go out of there way for you. Also look at how long the installer has been with the company. theres a Big diffrence to me to pay BB or CC almost 600.00 for an install, Compared to a independent that has the knowledge, and whats needed along with when you ask them a ? they know the answer. ( not that i would pay 600.00 for an install ).
Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
VIP what do you mean by Full Lock? Sorry, not familiar
Turn the wheel all the way to the left (or right) until it stops, then shut the car off and remove the key from the ignition. The wheel will be locked in that position.

Luckily the column in our cars locks in any position, but on some cars the steering wheel will only lock if you turn it all the way in one direction or the other.

Quick Reply: The best car alarm system?