General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cant find the clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant find the clunk

i have a z28 w an a4 and whenever i hit the brakes to stop and after i stop and release a lil pressure from the brakes a loud clunk happens just about every time. its not the brakes groaning its more of a clunk and then its fine. anyone have this happen before so ill know what to look for when i crawl under there?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JASONfojtik
i have a z28 w an a4 and whenever i hit the brakes to stop and after i stop and release a lil pressure from the brakes a loud clunk happens just about every time. its not the brakes groaning its more of a clunk and then its fine. anyone have this happen before so ill know what to look for when i crawl under there?
Where do you hear it? Under the car, the rear, the front ???

I had a random clunk in the front once, turned out to be my battery sliding side to slide when I would brake.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM

its either in the front or in the middle like maybe a trans mount or sometin idk. its really weird bcuz i not sure if its a braking issue or maybe sometin due to the deceleration.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a problem like that. It ended up being a LCA relocation brackets were loose and would move back and forth depending on braking/accelerating.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

i am having a similar problem with my GMC 2500HD. i have checked trans mount and drivetrain slack. when i come to a complete stop it will clunk, and when the brakes are released another clunk and then again when accelerating from a stop. almost seems like a converter issue.