Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some new Valvecovers from Billet Specialties for the Ls swaps

Billet Specialties Profile Valve covers

Plain

Ribbed

It’s time for a change in the status quo for valve cover design. Billet Specialties’ new Profile Valve Covers lead the way with fully CNC machined billet construction. Designed for the street rod & muscle car market, each valve cover is precision machined from a 45lb. block of 6061-T6 aluminum (small block Chevrolet®) on a multi-axis mill then finished with Billet Specialties’ award winning mirror polish.

Step away from the ordinary... ... Take your engine compartment to the pro-built level with Billet Specialties Profile Valve Covers.

Product Features:
• 6061-T6 billet aluminum construction
• Superior design, finish, & construction over valve covers on the market
• Mirror finish polish matches other Billet Specialties engine accessories
• Uses OE style valve cover gaskets
• Polished ARP 12-point stainless fastening hardware included
• Knurled screw-in oil fill cap included

Sold In Pairs

Pricing here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/952151-billet-specialties-ls-valve-covers-plain-ribbed.html
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
Pricing here
Ouch...

Not saying that they're not good-looking (they look pretty nice), but DAYYUM...!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I can buy nice tall polished aluminum valve coves for my sbc for 100 bucks, BBC for about 150 bucks.

400-500 bucks.................

but hey, i'm ol'school
Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

i better get a hummer with those things for $500
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Banned

hey, Im not saying there for all people. but some people they are for.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

If they're too expensive for ya, just go out to your garage and fab yourselves up a set. I'm sure they'll turn out just like his.

It's all about supply and demand. Also, most people have no idea what sort of costs are involved when developing parts like this when you're trying to run a business.

As far as the sbc/bbc example goes, how long have those platforms been out now? And how many companies are making covers for those engines now? The same comparison can be made for LS-sbc/bbc heads, headers, intakes, etc etc etc..
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Ouch! They are nice, but not for the workin man.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
If they're too expensive for ya, just go out to your garage and fab yourselves up a set. I'm sure they'll turn out just like his.

It's all about supply and demand. Also, most people have no idea what sort of costs are involved when developing parts like this when you're trying to run a business.

As far as the sbc/bbc example goes, how long have those platforms been out now? And how many companies are making covers for those engines now? The same comparison can be made for LS-sbc/bbc heads, headers, intakes, etc etc etc..
supply and demand.....guess what i demand you start supplying me with reasonably priced parts.....starting with those VALVE COVERS!!!

LS engines have been around for over 10 years now and a whole bunch of people are making parts for them, heads headers, intakes, rockers....you name it there is an aftermarket part for it, some/most parts are comparable to sbc/bbc prices and some (such as these valve covers) are exorbitantly over priced.

i know that billet specialties is a relatively small company compared to GM but
if GM can produce an entire engine block for around a $1000 i think billet specialties can come up with some cheaper valve covers.
......but thats just my opinion WTF do i know
Old 07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98blackSS

supply and demand.....guess what i demand you start supplying me with reasonably priced parts.....starting with those VALVE COVERS!!!

LS engines have been around for over 10 years now and a whole bunch of people are making parts for them, heads headers, intakes, rockers....you name it there is an aftermarket part for it, some/most parts are comparable to sbc/bbc prices and some (such as these valve covers) are exorbitantly over priced.

if GM can produce an entire engine block for around a $1000 i think billet specialties can come up with some cheaper valve covers.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Machined from billet = not cheap, and yes stamped valve covers are cheaper and look cheaper.

Jason, you have some of these that I can check out in person?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

ls1 parts are expensive because people will pay for it...period

like the FAST intake crap, you really think they have that much in those hunks of plastic? yet people still line up to pay it

old school hot rodders are often more budget conscious and the prices of parts reflect that pretty well
Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Most of us have had older cars before so I know I've definitely bought some $150 stamped valve covers here and there, heck I have a full Edelbrock SBC dress-up kit in my '51 Merc, looks very nice. You make a good point but in the end billet is not cheap and it's gotten more pricey as the price of steel has increased.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

Jon yes i do have a set you can check out.

these Valve covers are not some Stamped Piece. These are Axis Milled out of a Solid Chunk of aluminum.the Aluminum costs money, The machine Costs money, and the labor costs money, then the finishing costs money. The rising Costs of all materials and everything else in our economy is making prices rise on everything.

Not every part you see is for you, Some people like to be different and look Different then everyone else. Sometimes Products you see posted are not for you, But they might be for someone else.

I was looking at other Billet valve covers and from what is out there that is offered did not think this product pricing was out of line 1 bit.

Whats nice about these is if your building a carbed setup you can also run the ball milled air cleaner to flow with your valve covers.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HELLBENTfabrication
And why should they? If people are buying them, more power to them and their higher pricing. Nobody owes you a favor and cheap valve cover. Like I say, if you want cheap billet valve covers, make a few sets and enjoy the profits like they are. Otherwise keep on bitchin like the rest. Like you say, it's your opinion..
Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
Now that's sweet
Old 07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

They are really sweet, and I think the reason guys get twisted over the pricing is because in order to run a set of the valve covers and the matching air cleaner they will have to cough up as much $$ as they paid for the engine they would bolt to. Doesn't make much sense.

I do understand why they cost what they do(I used to work in a machine shop), but most guys that went the carb route did so to save money.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

I understand 100%.

I am just here to show off some new and exciting product i sell and deal with.

Not every product i have is for everyone, or will it be in there price range. Some people like to know the quality, the fact that stuff is made in the USA still, and a company will stand behind there product through Fit and Finish.

I am sure you could probably outsource this somewhere, have a stamped or cast piece, not really have any quality or finish, and have a general run of the mill product for very low cost that about 15 different companies all market them as there own.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Nice. I might rock a set when I get around to the enginebay cleanup phase..

Tails
Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

I like em. They would work on an LS car if you relocate the coil packs right?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have that "Kal Kustom" look to them...

Quick Reply: Some new Valvecovers from Billet Specialties for the Ls swaps