Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Drove car for 1st time since removing turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Drove car for 1st time since removing turbo

Removed/ sold m STS a couple weeks ago. Running the same CC228 cam and Patriot LQ9 heads for now. Added a Moser 9", intake, GMMG, and UMI subframes/bracing.

I'm so used to hearing turbo whine it sounded deathly quiet when I was accelerating.....no whistle Definetly felt the loss of top-end power and torque.

But....w/ some 4.11's in the car I swear it accelerates faster to 60. It damn near ripped my head off in 1st gear WOT, and that was w/ the low compression heads That suprised me, as I expected it to run like a dog w/ the 9 to 1 CR.

First time I've had subframes on the car too....that was also noticable.

Another thing that made me laugh is a chambered muffler (GMMG) is at least 2x quieter than a GT67 turbine muffler

Finally, logged the IAT's. Interesting to see that they still rise to 120+ when hot-starting or when sitting in traffic, but they now drop FAST once moving. IAT's were ambient temp. (Sure having a totally open grill from the FMIC helps w/ that too). It looked so weird to me when logging that. So did only seeing the MAP go to 105. The + side is I had the car retuned in 2 hours........vs 2 weeks for the turbo Still running 2-bar SD, cause I'm too lazy to change it back.

Overall....part of me definetly misses the turbo. Definetly miss the whistle + the "wow" factor. But, this is an interesting change. Faster 0-60 runs are great for street driving. Actuall have ground clearance again. No residue on the rear bumper after driving. All nice. Will get even better once the high compression heads + high-rev (7500+ RPM) shortblock are in.

Anyhow, still love FI.......but might be abe to get used to this NA thing.....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds fun well good luck with the car
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Teching In

why did you sell the STS?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2konyxss
why did you sell the STS?
I was always adjusting/fixing it. The wife was getting tired of me always adjusting/fixing it........ you get the point.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Schantin
I was always adjusting/fixing it. The wife was getting tired of me always adjusting/fixing it........ you get the point.
yup.
same thing here with the girlfriend.

but its fun playing with the car.

yea i would like a larger CI NA motor next
Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could use your old heads if you want to sell them. Good luck with the new whistle less setup.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

man i'm feeling you on the tired part...but its not the lil woman pressuring me, i'm the one tired of this crap.

This close >.< to parting it all out.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
man i'm feeling you on the tired part...but its not the lil woman pressuring me, i'm the one tired of this crap.

+1 .......

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys aren't really helping those that are just getting their feet wet with turbo builds (like me). LOL

Although my biggest pain in the rear so far was dealing with the transmission swap.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Im in the same boat, owning both a turbo foxbody and camaro.

I remember buying my camaro and getting into it one time and after 2500 nothing "epic" happened (aka boost coming in) and wondered if something was wrong with the car haha.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
I could use your old heads if you want to sell them. Good luck with the new whistle less setup.
I will be selling them....but I won't be changing them till the other set of heads are complete. They're still in the process of being CNC'd/ported/flow tested. Will probably have the the "new" heads and the LQ9's out of the car in a few weeks, give or take. Will change the cam then too. The CC228 that's currently in the car would be a great N/A cam..... except for the 115LSA. Going to a 111LSA of similiar lift/duration

Can take pics and PM you once all this happens
Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No!!! Don't think about that... Just move to something closer to the earth than the moon.. You may get a little better time.. hahaha.. To tell you the truth I get a little tired at times but after all of the wrenching it is worth it getting in the car and being pushed back in the seat...
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

****, I'M SO DOWN TO EARTH THAT I'M UNDERGROUND

Did you know, I haven't made a track pass in almost 4 yrs....basically since going turbo. Meantime all the local @#K's have passed me up.....and my goal too.

So you see, the drive is all gone. I just want the car to start, drive reliably like it did when it was procharged and maybe have some fun with it. But I can't even get it to start...bought an incomplete engine harness that was modified to accept a injector driver box that isn't made anymore and now i'm waiting on a good guy to make me a jumper harness to bypass where the injector driver box goes. The seller is a good guy and didn't mean for this to happen, he really didn't think that I needed the injector driver box hooked to the harness to get the car to run.

I'm at the mercy of that guy and his good will...even though i'm paying him for the harness once he is done.

Shoulda stuck to the procharger and just upgraded the head unit to a F1, and then did the drivetrain as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you know, I haven't made a track pass in almost 4 yrs....basically since going turbo. Meantime all the local @#K's have passed me up.....and my goal too.

So you see, the drive is all gone. I just want the car to start, drive reliably like it did when it was procharged and maybe have some fun with it. But I can't even get it to start...bought an incomplete engine harness that was modified to accept a injector driver box that isn't made anymore and now i'm waiting on a good guy to make me a jumper harness to bypass where the injector driver box goes. The seller is a good guy and didn't mean for this to happen, he really didn't think that I needed the injector driver box hooked to the harness to get the car to run.

I'm at the mercy of that guy and his good will...even though i'm paying him for the harness once he is done.

Shoulda stuck to the procharger and just upgraded the head unit to a F1, and then did the drivetrain as well.
Damn. Good luck with it though.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the pain to! But my answer is coming in the form of a TBSS.! Then I can focus moe on the car. I havent made a pass in 3-5 years.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has been that way for me every since I decided to supercharge it. My car has gotten around 1000 miles put on it in the past 4 years. There is always something that needs to be done. Every time I think I'm close to being able to enjoy it I run into another issue. I'm so fed up with it all... I've done nothing but throw money at it "around 30k so far". I keep telling my self she's almost ready

I'm sure all my friends and family think I'm all talk considering I've been saying it would be done soon for the past year and a half. Like you my drive is starting to go away. The idea of it ever being completed is so hard to comprehend. It has just been one set back/let down after another for as long as I can remember.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol fkking FI people are all depressed this time a year.... lol
Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
It has been that way for me every since I decided to supercharge it. My car has gotten around 1000 miles put on it in the past 4 years. There is always something that needs to be done. Every time I think I'm close to being able to enjoy it I run into another issue. I'm so fed up with it all... I've done nothing but throw money at it "around 30k so far". I keep telling my self she's almost ready

I'm sure all my friends and family think I'm all talk considering I've been saying it would be done soon for the past year and a half. Like you my drive is starting to go away. The idea of it ever being completed is so hard to comprehend. It has just been one set back/let down after another for as long as I can remember.
Yep, you worded that perfectly. In the 2 1/2 years I had the STS in the car I NEVER got a clean track pass. 4x dagstrip outings and something always went wrong (wastegate stuck open, no traction, oil pump fuse blew, etc, etc.) Not to mention the constant adjustments sprinkled w/ fear of blowing the shortblock and a huge helping of $$ thrown on top.

It still feels "wrong" not hearing the car whistle when I drive it.......but the car doesn't cook me dinner or do my laundry.......so....all in the name of keeping the wife and kids happy.

The upside of the whole NA thing is I still blew the doors off 2x Mustangs today. Both were modded....not sure w/what.....but they sounded pretty good. I also went over a speedbump and didn't hear pipes scraping concrete. That made me happy too
Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys and good luck with whatever form of induction you go with.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

glad to know im not the only one that gets fed up with this f/i stuff.