Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting Koni Rebound - Pics Inside

Old 07-11-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Adjusting Koni Rebound - Pics Inside

(I originally made this thread back in 04 for LS1.com, but since they lost it in their big server crash a while back, I'm reposting it here)

Okay, this is about the Koni 4th gen (8241-1139 front/8241-1140 rear) Sport - twin tube low pressure gas shocks for the 93-02 F-body. The Koni Single Adjustable (SA) and Double Adjustable are virtually identical, except for the the compression adjuster near the bottom of the DA shock.

First, I want to mention I have the Ground Control coilover kit up front and the shock tophat has to be removed to get the sleeves on. So what I did was grind off a lot of material to make the tophat have a smaller diameter. Then I painted it yellow, to prevent rust.

Anyway, here are the pics. It's pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions about it, just ask me.

Stock tophats before and after grinding
(not my pics, thank you to whoever they belong to)

My tophat

Rebound adjustment for the rear shocks
To access these, you simply fold the rear seat down, fold open the carpet flaps above the shocks and stick the white **** on the top and turn it. Very easy. The pics are self explanatory.

If you have the Koni DA, here is how you adjust the compression setting. It is located near the bottom of the shock. Same for front and rear. Just use a big flat blade screwdriver.

crosslink

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-31-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a pic with the hat removed.

You can see the disc on top with the holes drilled around it. The chromoly shock shaft is hollow and the rod goes all the way down it.

Now if the top of the shock towers were open like a lot of strut cars and such, Koni could have designed the top of the shock shaft so that the adjustment rod would go all the way up. You'd just pop the hood and turn the big **** by hand, but since the 4th gen's have a covered shock tower, Koni came up with this design.

BTW, don't let the allen wrench fool you. You could use a nail or heavy piano wire, also. It's just that the 2.5mm long allen wrench is not too difficult to find. Most tool places carry them. They are also heat treated and very resisitant to bending, which makes them the perfect little adjustment tool.

If you ever wanted to know what that long rod going down the main shaft actually turns to make the changes heres a pic.

It rotates that lower red piece which increases or decreases the spring tension pressing against the bypass valve.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-31-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Tips for Adjustments

Just set the front shocks 4 sweeps from full soft and see if it is too firm or too soft. If it is too firm/harsh for you, then go 2 sweeps softer. If it is NOT too firm/harsh, try 2 sweeps firmer. I say 2 sweeps because 1 sweep is pretty hard to feel the difference. When you get the front too firm, the car will skate (slide initially, then grab) or it will just feel too harsh for daily driving. When you reach that poiny, back it off one or 2 sweeps.

On my car, I kept moving it firmer until it was so firm up front it made me seasick going down the freeway. The car would just drop quickly following the road, you know? I never got it to skate. I then backed it down just enough to not feel sick at speed. So it's right on the edge of max performance and what is livable on a daily basis. A very nice place to be.

Keep in mind that tire pressure and alignment will effect things as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here are the circuits and seals at the top and bottom of the shock.

This is the lower Foot Valve on a Koni twin tube shock.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-31-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen your pics floating on the forum before. Thanks for making them.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 AM
DF
Teching In

Is your picture of the rear shock applicable to the SA Koni? I dont remember having the white ****. I thought the rear shock had to be removed to adjust it. (im refering to the 3rd gen rear shock).

TIA
Old 08-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned

the 6th pic in the OP is what the SA rear shock looks like. and yes you have to remove it from the car to adjust it. the 4th gen rears have a **** you can attach to it and turn it while it is still on the car.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
I've seen your pics floating on the forum before. Thanks for making them.
Thanks, just filling a need.
Originally Posted by DF
Is your picture of the rear shock applicable to the SA Koni? I dont remember having the white ****. I thought the rear shock had to be removed to adjust it. (im refering to the 3rd gen rear shock).

TIA
I state right at the beginning that these are adjustments to the 93-02
Koni's.

3rd gen is 82-92, but the rear suspensions are pretty much the same. What Koni did was allow you to adjust the tension on the bypass spring by making the adjusting nut mesh with a matching piece mounted on top of the foot valve (at the base of the shock). I'm guessing this was the design they chose back in 82. Later on they came up with the rod that does the same thing, but is more convienent to adjust.

If I can find an internal picture, I'll post it up.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-31-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Similar to 3rd gen Koni rear.

You compress the shock and the red adjuster nut (#10) will mesh with the lower foot valve (#7) and hold the nut in place. You then turn the shock body and that tightens or loosens the nut and adjusts the tension on the bypass valve spring(#9) and that effect the bypass valve itself (#8).

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-31-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Koni 4th gen shock full length

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-31-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cleaned up and narrowed some of the earlier pics so the window doesn't have to be so wide to see them and rewrote some of the text. Also added some stock tophat pics. Enjoy.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-31-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good post!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info for the Koni newbees.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post/thread.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Launching!

I messed up and didn't call Sam before I installed my shocks, and I had other people help me. The adjuster slot for the fronts is out of reach, can I just take the wheels off and slide the collar or the strut so that the adjuster slot faces outward? Its a PITA because I don't have all the tools I need to take everything off and put it back on easily.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm pretty sure you have to compress the springs to rotate the shock. I know I had to fidget with with angle of the shocks and try to prevent them from rotating on me. Can't recall if I had to also remove the shock nut at the top....
Old 01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

are these the 4/4. because im thinking about spending my taxes on the 4/4 w/ the lowering springs. im a newb so it sounds good to me adjusting them while they are on the car.i dont have a garage or tools(im always on the move)
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I messed up and didn't call Sam before I installed my shocks, and I had other people help me. The adjuster slot for the fronts is out of reach, can I just take the wheels off and slide the collar or the strut so that the adjuster slot faces outward? Its a PITA because I don't have all the tools I need to take everything off and put it back on easily.
The adjustor slot is in the top hat and that is bolted firmly to the upper shock mount. So you have to pull the shock off the car, loosen the 1 nut on the top of the shock and then you can rotate it. Then fully tighten it again and put the shock back on the car.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
are these the 4/4. because im thinking about spending my taxes on the 4/4 w/ the lowering springs. im a newb so it sounds good to me adjusting them while they are on the car.i dont have a garage or tools(im always on the move)
Do you know what 4/4 means?
See post #5.

The 3rd gen shocks are for those on very tight budgets and don't plan on messing with the settings very often. If you can afford the 4th gens, I'd get them. Adjustments are fast and easy.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-30-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Ah ****. Well thanks guys, now I know why it said to mark the upper strut mount with a piece of chalk, lol. Haven't done springs and shocks in over 3 years.... shows how much I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting Koni Rebound - Pics Inside