General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

engine overheating, car shakes violently?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default engine overheating, car shakes violently?

well lately my temp gauge has been going nuts, it will go all the way up and say my car is overheating and it seemed fine and would go right back down again. when i got my alignment the local shop looked at my car and said nothing was wrong. then it did it again yesterday. then today...i had off, weather was nice so what do i do? went for a little cruise and well, the gauge went all the way up and stayed there for about 10 minutes until i realized the car was shaking. it did this the other day slightly in my driveway when i started it but thought nothing of it because i stopped right away. but today was different, the car was really shaking. the mirrors looked like i had an 18 inch sub in the trunk so i dropped it off and the shop and coolant was pouring out (remember the shop said absolutely nothing was wrong, even when i mentioned that the coolant level was down from what it was). so my question is how would a coolant leak make the car shake, was the engine just that hot? also could this cause my car to bog down a bit when i give it gas if i have a problem like this?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah when my fans stopped working and my car started to overheat it bogged down alot cause it was so hot and I dunno bout overheating making the car shake cause it didn't mine. But it could be broken belts in the tires or they might need balanced.

=\
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

nah tires were just put on, theyve got about 1k miles on em. its not them, thats why im stumped and have no idea what it is...ive never seen/heard or experience anything like this before i just dont know whats going on with it...
Old 07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh and, the car was shaking voilently at a stop light so it cant be the tires
Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

well found out its a blow head gasket, im still not sure how that was causing the car to shake but...yeah.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

When overheating, I think the car will go into limp mode to try and prevent damage, which I heard feels very sluggish/jerky. Maybe this was it...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt1noob
well found out its a blow head gasket, im still not sure how that was causing the car to shake but...yeah.

How did you find out it was the head gasket? because my car has been shaking pretty violently at idle too. and now you got me thinking.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TRlGGER
How did you find out it was the head gasket? because my car has been shaking pretty violently at idle too. and now you got me thinking.

your 02's are probably fucked
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
your 02's are probably fucked
wouldnt that send off an SES light?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TRlGGER
wouldnt that send off an SES light?
Not if they arent fully bad, an oxygen sensor can become "lazy" which will cause weird things like shaking, stumbling, and stalling, but wont throw a code. I found this one out first hand.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

unplug your 02's and see if shaking goes away
Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

unplug your 02's and see if shaking goes away

Just unplug them? wouldnt that make the car worse at that point?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

By unplugging them your just letting the car run in open loop, which is warmup period.

By unplugging them you can tell if the 02's are bad.

unplug them, if the car runs better, then you need new 02's, if not move on to the next part, ignition.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

By unplugging them your just letting the car run in open loop, which is warmup period.

By unplugging them you can tell if the 02's are bad.

unplug them, if the car runs better, then you need new 02's, if not move on to the next part, ignition.
thanks.....im going to try that!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrEddie
When overheating, I think the car will go into limp mode to try and prevent damage, which I heard feels very sluggish/jerky. Maybe this was it...
yes it was very sluggish and jerky, so you guys would recommend i also should check 02 sensors if the problem keeps up? the car is currently getting a blown head gasket taken care of. well see whats going on with it once thats finished.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i found out it was a head gasket which was causing the over heating, i think the shaking may be a whole different problem all together.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

I had this issue a few weeks back and turned out to be my water pump went bad. Maybe look for a leak from your wheeping hole.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

im having the same problem my car was runnin hotter dan normal(220-230) so i got a coolent flush and it got worse(240-250) so i got it checked, made my car burp like 6 time same thing happend< when i left the shop it was 160* and within 5 min it shot up to like 230* but when u hit on the gas it starts to cool down a bit then when ur at a stop it shoots back up i dont mean to thread hijack but im very consernd about this and we also bileave its a blown hed gasket but it could also be my water pump but im goin to try and replace my thermesat 2marow
Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

I would change the thermostat and if your water pump is bad it will be leaking.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98blackbirdta
im having the same problem my car was runnin hotter dan normal(220-230) so i got a coolent flush and it got worse(240-250) so i got it checked, made my car burp like 6 time same thing happend< when i left the shop it was 160* and within 5 min it shot up to like 230* but when u hit on the gas it starts to cool down a bit then when ur at a stop it shoots back up i dont mean to thread hijack but im very consernd about this and we also bileave its a blown hed gasket but it could also be my water pump but im goin to try and replace my thermesat 2marow
your temp is going up and down because there is air in the system still and you are most likely low on coolant from it. you need to run it with the heat on full blast to operating temp (until the thermostat opens) then shut it off and let it cool. bleed the system and check the level. most likely have to add coolant.

the reason the temp goes up and then down when you hit the gas is because the water pump is spinning faster and flowing a larger mass of coolant. cooling the sensor

Quick Reply: engine overheating, car shakes violently?