Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Express down module (EDM) shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Express down module (EDM) shot?

Well after doing some research, I think my express down module is shot. I rolled my driver side window down today and now it will not go up. I can still operate the passenger side window from the driver-side window control which has made be believe its express down module related.

I can hear the EDM relay click when I press the driver window button down, and if I time it right and press the up button the EDM makes a buzz sound for a second.The driver's window has worked flawless the three years I've had the car; no skipping, studders, slow speed, ect. I've taken the EDM apart and I don't see anything loose on the board.

So can anyone confirm my hypothesis? Anyway to bypass the EDM too make sure the window motor still operates?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your window motor is shot. You are in a classic bad motor situation. Your EDM has always clicked. You have just never heard it before because your motor has been running. (The window motors are known to just up-and-die without warning. I've had several die like this.)

You can take a voltmeter, take the door apart, take the door speaker out, and unhook the electrical connector from the window motor. Attach the voltmeter leads to the motor connector and operate the window switch. If you see 12V at the connector, it will confirm that the EDM and circuitry is good and the motor is bad.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wssix99
Your window motor is shot. You are in a classic bad motor situation. Your EDM has always clicked. You have just never heard it before because your motor has been running. (The window motors are known to just up-and-die without warning. I've had several die like this.)

You can take a voltmeter, take the door apart, take the door speaker out, and unhook the electrical connector from the window motor. Attach the voltmeter leads to the motor connector and operate the window switch. If you see 12V at the connector, it will confirm that the EDM and circuitry is good and the motor is bad.
Yep, you were correct! I borrowed a new Dorman motor from a local part store here and plugged in the new motor and it worked. Its all back together now and the window moves a little faster than what I remember. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to remove the door speaker to get to the plug and motor? That would be a nightmare to do in my application currenlty.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not sure if you could get to the motor and plug without removing the door speaker. I know it made it much easier though.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Do you have to remove the door speaker to get to the plug and motor? That would be a nightmare to do in my application currenlty.
Its possible if you've got very long arms, small hands, and don't mind getting cut. (I was able to do it once but it took forever and I got all cut up. I couldn't actually reach with my hands. Had to use mirrors and pliers to do it.)
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Default edm

hi can you tell me where the edm is located?? my express down doesn't work the window works fine just not the express down feature, thanks billyb
Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by billyb
hi can you tell me where the edm is located?? my express down doesn't work the window works fine just not the express down feature, thanks billyb
Its almost behind the radio, on the driver's side. It will be in the plastic cover on the firewall. You can hear the relay click when you press up on the driver window switch. Its a black box the size of a wallet.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Here is a picture of where the factory module is stored. Located exactly where above poster mentioned.

We sell replacement express modules for both sides at our website.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Teching In

I may be having tha same problem. My window motor died 3 months ago. I got a new one replaced by lifetime warranty (doorman motor). It doesn't work at all now. I have taken the motor out held it in my hand it it worked. I even put in a brand new one in and nothing happens. I do here the click under the dash. I even checked my scissor track to see if it was binding and it moves worry free. Help I even bought a new window switch in case that was the problem. Even my fuses are ok
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Hey guys never mind my above post. I found my issue. My connector plug to the window motor was not making the proper connection. The tabs on the black plug had become spread apart just far enough to not make the connection. I pressed them together with some needle nose pliers and wouldn't you know it my window works like normal again.

Quick Reply: Express down module (EDM) shot?