General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

recharing a/c question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default recharing a/c question

I got a kit with 2 cans, hose and gauge. I followed the instructions and filled in 3/4 of the can. It's blowing cold air now, but not really cold. The low side pressure is only in the high 20s and I know it should be in the low 40s. The thing is it's not taking anymore from the can. I can feel that is still some left. I was told if the pressure on the high side is too much it will cause damage. I obviously don't know the pressure on the high side. My question is if the pressure is too high on the high side will that eventually bleed out to the low side and cause that pressure to be higher? I've been driving for 2 weeks now and it's the same coldness of air coming out. I don't want to try the second can since it's not taking the rest of the first one. What do I do?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search the forum here, I have and a few others have answered the same question.
Why are you putting refrigerant in it? did you use a vacuum pump?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I searched and didn't exactly answer my question. Just a can with a hose and a gauge. Running the A/C while doing it. Came with a CD of the Two Guys Garage showing how to recharge the A/C with the same exact kit I got and they didn't use any vacuum pump.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Why are you recharging? Also what is your ac doing?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Why are you recharging? Also what is your ac doing?
I am recharging because my A/C kept getting weaker and weaker every summer and eventually stopped cooling. That happened really slow over the last 2 years. When I got it it wasn't at full power already. It's not doing anything. Blowing cool air now, just not super cold like it's supposed to. I'm wondering if I should tap open the second full can or is that all that it's going to take using this method? My low side pressure has not reached low 40s yet so I'm wondering why it stopped taking freon before it reached that point.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Banned

When you have a tire go flat do you just add air and scratch your head when it goes flat again? No, you look for the leak and fix it right?

Your ac system is somewhat the same, if it loses refrigerant theres probably a leak that needs to be fixed.

In addition to fixing the leak it needs to be pulled into a vacuum to remove contaminants (ambient air), and then the proper refrigerant weighed in. Thats the short version of fixing it right.

Now about two guys garage, they sponsor a product and get paid for it. You bought it, used it, and it probably went right back into the atmosphere. Their endorsement money I bet stayed in their pocket.

Bottom line is have a shop fix it or pay triple buying the right tools to do it yourself properly.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

The tools to fix the AC system propery will run you a minimum of 500 Bucks unless you know someone to help you out.

You will need a AC vacum pump(or a recovery machine which costs at least 500 Bucks alone), proper AC gauges, die with a lamp or a sniffer to find your AC leak. Then you will need the refrigirant.

Don't mess with your AC system unless you know at least a little about what you are doing.

If you need some specific info on this PM me or post it up.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dom
I searched and didn't exactly answer my question.
Read this, especially post#18: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...286&highlight=
Old 07-12-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

You have HAVE to vac the system to do it right. I am lucky enough to have such a vac. I would never refill without using it.

I usually vac it down and then wait 30 min to see if the vac changes. Easy and free way to test the system each time.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

How in the hell do you flush a AC system? What do you use?

I know how to do the rest.

What can you do? Just hit it with compressed air.

That post deffenetly explains the rest.

I never thought about it really. I just find the leak, replace the part, pull a good vacuum then recharge.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by samson_420
How in the hell do you flush a AC system? What do you use?
What can you do? Just hit it with compressed air.
I flush it with brake cleaner and compressed air, brake cleaner removes all the oil and evaporates fast, especially when put under a vacuum.

There is a specific flush for this but it seems too mild. It's safe though, it won't catch on fire like other cleaners.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Good to know.

Thanks. . . . . .

Quick Reply: recharing a/c question